Export to rtf: single character on each line[ADDITIONAL INFO

When exporting my document to rtf format, some text sections end up with each character on a single line (i.e. in a long column). Difficult to see what is causing this. I believe I cured it by cutting and pasting the section, but the problem reappeared somewhere else.

Were you writing in script formatting?

This problem has occurred before with people using scriptwriting mode.

Not writing in scriptwriting formatting (as far as I am aware)
(Script mode screenplay is unchecked)

Can you please provide a sample project so we can try and duplicate this?

lee AT literatureandlatte DOT com

I’m getting this problem, too-- I’m using the BBC Radio Script Template, and it happens in both .RTF export as well as Compile to PDF.

I would be a happy to supply a sample file demonstrating the problem.
When I attempt to attach a .scrivx file, it is rejected with the message:

The extension scrivx is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector

Not quite sure what to do about this

I believe this is being caused by the way the export to rtf is setting the right margin. When I first open an rtf export in Word I get the narrow row down the left side of the page. By trial and error I found that if I clicked the page layout to landscape the column width increased several inches. This lead me to experiment with changing the right margin setting on a per paragraph basis (in Word) which successfully adjusted the column to any width I specified.

So there is some disconnect between the way Scrivener is exporting margin settings and the way Word is reading them.

Try zipping the project.

And be sure to include the whole project, not just the .scrivx file.


Here’s something that seems to work for both export and compile. You manually set the right margin (don’t leave it at the default). In a text note, if you set it to something like 6", it exports correctly to RTF. In compile, you can’t set it to anything more than 4.83" because of the design of the configuration box (which I believe could be changed). To set it, right click on the right tab on the ruler and select “set right margin”. Export/compile then work as expected.

This is the Windows 1.9 Beta

Follow up: What setting the right margin (at 4.83" or 6") seems to do is to reduce the right indent.

The default right indent seems to be set to 6". That means that on an A4 page with a margin of 1" or more all around, paragraphs are right-indented by 6". If you export or compile to RTF with the default settings, you get a line down the left with a single character on each line. Now if you select the entire document in word, hit Format/Paragraph, you’ll see the right indent is 6". Set that to 0 and all is well in a snap.

The question is how to get Scrivener to distinguish between a right margin and a right indent, the right margin being the distance from the right edge of the paper/page/sheet, and the right indent being a further inward push, i.e., the distance forced from the right margin to the text. As I understand it, quotations or extracts are often indented both left and right by an inch or perhaps more.

What seems to be happening is that Scrivener has some setting – and it’s not in any of the project files; I checked – that forces the right indent to 6"; or treats the right margin and the right indent as the same, which they are not. I suspect it’s the latter (it treats the two as the same), which is why setting the right margin at some specified amount directly changes the right indent in the compiled RTF.

If you save these settings, it generates an .ini file. That ini file isn’t easy to configure – many of the settings seem to be in something called @ByteArray, and the right margin/indent settings are placed there.

I believe what needs to be done is to allow the right indent to be set at 0"; distinguish between right margin and right indent; and allow the .ini file to be more easily changed. Till then, the workaround of manually setting the so-called right margin (actually the right indent) to something specific seems to partially solve the issue.

Hope this makes sense and helps.