Exporting to Word then Re-Importing Edited Document

Hello Everyone.

Looking for suggestions and best practices for working with my pro editor.

Writing my first novel with Scrivener. Ready to send it to a pro editor who uses Word.

The editor will mark up and comment on the Word doc and return it to me.

I do not want to overwrite my work with the contents of the changed Word doc, as I see the potential for losing material in that process.

What is the best way to use the mark-up and comments from the edited Word doc?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Print the Word document to paper or display in a window with Word or something that can read the file and revisions. Open your Scrivener project (or a new fresh copy if you want) in another window. Work thru each comment and change and for those you accept and agree, edit your Scrivener project.

Keep it simple and focus on the editing.

2 Likes

You could also rename and import into Scriv and then use split screen with original on top and the edited version on the bottom.

I usually import the edits and suggestions into my research folder and use split screen.

And sometimes I do what rms suggests.

1 Like

Your method sounds interesting. When you import a Word doc with comments, deletions, etc., how does it look in Scrivener? Do the marks remain? Or are the edits committed, and the resulting document appears?

Simple is good. I am considering using 2 monitors to do this, as I like to work in 200%.

I have never actually imported a whole manuscript like this so I don’t know if it would be good. It depends how they edited your document.

If you they used typical Word editing system then most likely the comments associated with the edits would get lost. But if they just used different colors or custum letters then Scriv would preserve the edits.

If they used the built in MS word editor then rms’s suggestion is the best and what I also often depending on who is helping me edit

The key ingredient here, I have heard, is to use the command in Word to accept all changes. It is the change tracking that Scrivener doesn’t see. Comments in and of themselves should import fine.

Something else you can try, if your editor doesn’t have a problem with it, is the Insert links back to Scrivener in each section option. This will put a link into the text, wherever there is a binder item break. You’ll just need to let your editor know to leave them alone and ignore them (they won’t work without your project). When you import the file back into Scrivener, these will turn into internal links, which you can use to jump straight to the outline item in the Draft folder it came from—and by default that will work naturally with the split view approach, too, even opening a split for you if necessary.

Those links by the way work from anywhere so long as Scrivener is installed and your project is where you last left it. So if you didn’t want to import this into Scrivener, you could still put a Word window beside your project and follow along.

1 Like

How, exactly do you do that? An example would help.

1. If you need to exercise judgement over the editor’s edits, you will not want to Accept All Changes in Word. Instead, walk through the proosed changes in Word using its track change function, and accept and reject as needed.

2. Some of the suggestions above (setting the two side by side) are aimed at altering your Scriv docs to match changes with the edited Word doc. BUT NOTICE: if you resolve all tracked changes first in Word, then with all the track changes markup gone, you will have a hard time seeing anymore just what has changed, so as to make your Scriv doc match it. SO, you should either 1) leave the track changes markup in place until you have side-by-side hand edited your Scriv docs to match, or 2) you should resolve the tracked changes, import the doc as suggested into Scriv (which AmberV told you how this can be done in a nice way), and then Snapshot each doc in your Scriv before literally pasting the corresponding chunk of the imported Word doc in its place. The Snapshot of each scriv doc, of course, preserves a copy of that text doc as it was before the changes. After following wither of these, you will then be in the business of working out any suggested improvement you find in editor Comments.

5 Likes