Fiction Page View with Side By Side

There are multiple customers here with just about the same series of questions related to page view and editing within that type of visualization structure.

• Using the Fiction template (with parts) that is available is not useful because it is only showing what could be done with the software. There is not an active set of settings within the template that will compile a fiction novel.

So I’d like to form a small team here to build a correct novel template with parts template.

• The view within the editor needs to be page view that is side by side or at least scrollable.
  • The compile setting need to be able to form an ebook to a word document or pdf.
  • The setup for the final document should also be book print with page numbers (i.e. look like a book)

So far I understand that we will be using compile setting for page view.

Thanks,

Milan

It seems to me that the Novel (with Parts) Project Template, compiled to Word or Pdf with the Paperback Compile Format will result in a Document with pagenumbers looking like a book.

E-books shouldn’t need pagenumbers, because the number of pages will change when users change Font size or margins.

If you like to use Page View in your Editor, no-one is stopping you from doing so. I don’t think Page View can ever show pages side by side.

I guess different writers have different preferences, they save in a Personal Project Template. You might do the same…

2 Likes

Page View “two pages” layout is available on the Mac, so presumably it’s on the roadmap for Windows at some point. Perhaps the developers can say whether it is planned, or whether it’s ruled out on technical grounds?

2 Likes

Hi Antoni,

I’ll try the compile output again for the built in template. But so far it isn’t working for me, it kicks out 8.5 x 11 pages.

If you have a moment, perhaps try a new document with some ip sum lorem text and see if it works for you.

I’m not entirely ready to give up on this software, but I’m close to going back to my very usable word file.

I do like the forum here which is a positive note.

Thanks,

Anthony

You know you can change the Page Size to anything you want?

I have little problems spitting out a manuscript in PDF from the Paperback Format that shows side by side in Adobe Reader.

Compiled output documents usually are designed in InDesign, or other software dedicated to print layout, showing pages side by side. Scrivener has lots of features helping you to write – like Labels, Status, Targets, Collections, Keywords, Custom Metadata, Writing History to name a few, thus keeping an overview of your project and insights in you work in progress.
It can also generate several types of documents. Compiling print-ready files is not a goal to strive for with Scrivener, but if you want to create a Word document that Amazon can convert to a pocketbook for example, that’s doable with Scrivener.

I don’t understand why Page View Side by Side in the Editor is of significance for choosing Scrivener as your writing software.

Hi Brookter, where’s the setting for the Page View - two pages view?
So I can check in the Windows version it it works there.

I’ve checked: it’s not on the Windows version as far as I can see.

On the Mac it’s in the same place as Page Layout: View > Text Editing > Two pages across.

HTH

Thx! Windows doesn’t have that menu option. Maybe in the future.

I think you’re slightly confused about the respective roles of project templates and compile formats.

The role of the Fiction (or any other) template is to provide a starting point for actually writing a work of fiction. Once you have that text, you can use whatever settings you like to create the output document. But the whole point of the Compile command is that there isn’t necessarily any connection between the settings you use for writing and the output you present to potential readers.

The supplied Compile formats can, out of the box, be used to produce ebooks, Word documents, or paginated PDFs. If the supplied formats don’t meet your needs, the manual explains in great detail how to customize them and how to save the results for future use.

If you are starting with a nearly complete Word document, though, Scrivener is not necessarily the best tool to use. While people do publish directly from Scrivener, its focus is on the parts of the process leading up to creation of the manuscript: research, organization, and writing. It is not intended to replace dedicated publishing tools or, for that matter, Word’s layout capabilities.

1 Like

I’m not confused by the separation. Only confused by the compile features to create an ebook.
The learning curve is too steep for it being practical.

You’ve said that Scrivener is not necessarily the best tool to use, then the compile features should not be included within the software package. If it wasn’t ready to go, then it shouldn’t be included.

Because I was excited to see an ebook compile template and then realize how janky (I think that’s the other thread) it is… a bit disappointing.

I’m only going to use the Scrivener for the initial layout and note carding… at least try to…

Thanks kewms and Antoni

What does “ready to go” mean in this context?

Ready to compete with InDesign? That’s not a goal of the product, and never has been.

Please review this youtube video by Juliet that was recently published.

‘Ready to go’ in my opinion means that the steps she is and needs to take for compiling should already have been completed. As it stands within Windows it’s a bit complex. Please keep an open mind as I am just asking for support in general.

I can’t comment on InDesign, but the price is higher than for Scrivener.

I do plan to work through her video to see if I can navigate the menus correctly.

Thanks,

How? The video shows how to customize the Compile settings to use a different font, different line spacing, and so on. How is Scrivener supposed to anticipate what settings you are going to want to use?