File tagging?

Is there an app or a way to tag files in finder?

Is this the kind of thing you mean?

H

Yes! Thanks, Hugh!

I really like how Mailtags has worked out and got to thinking that it’d be nice to have a way to tag other files within my document folder.

I’m also thinking of the possibilities of getting Hazel to work with file tags.

You may find that all three applications will work with the same tags. This list suggests so.

H

And to be clear, the only reason Hazel is in the partial list is because it does not set meta-data, it only searches for it.

Amber - which is perfectly fine with me. Hazel can do what it’s supposed to. And, I can put it to more use that emptying trash, coloring old unused files, removing unused apps, and cleaning out my download and mail download folder.

I’ve been thinking of a way to have Hazel rename bill pay PDFs based on tags, then move them to an appropriate directory. It sounds great in theory and should save me some time later on.

My favourite little “power trick” with Hazel is a routine which looks for new Scrivener back-up zips, moves them to an outgoing folder, renames them with a serial number, and then uploads them to my FTP server. As I work in Scrivener and produce back-ups, they silently and automatically accumulate on my off-site server. It’s one of those things you figure out how to do once, tell Hazel to do it, and then forget about it until the day you need it.

Append to AmberV

That is the only reason I tend to dislike some types of automation. Things like apptrap cover areas that should be hidden from users. Backups… not to sure if I want to forget how those are set up.

That’s why I document everything I do. :slight_smile: The automation is just there to save time, not replace my brain.

–>

:frowning:

I take it the Vic-graft didn’t stick?

[size=60]Or help?[/size]

It created an urge to chase things and bark. Snort was not appreciative.

Neat trick, Amber.

Like you, I document everything. I have an entire CP Notebook dedicated to nothing but geek stuff. I think I could easily rebuild from square one down to the smallest detail if I had to.

I’m a sheer novice at Hazel. I wanted an uninstaller and I liked that Hazel could monitor and label a few files for me. The price wasn’t that different from another uninstaller. As I’m getting more comfortable with my Mac, I look for ways to improve my life/workflow with it.

Off-site or disaster recovery is a whole separate issue for me. One I’ve never determined the best method. Trust places Dropbox, etc.? Or come up with a different solution involving another USB drive and stuffing it into the fireproof safe (which could easily be carted off my thieves, LOL!).

Anyway, the file tagging software should come in handy when used with Hazel. Never thought about using it for a totally separate Scrivener backup. Feel free to smack my hand, but all I’ve been using is Time Machine.

There is no good one answer to that question. So the best answer is: As many different ways as you can without getting sick of it to the point of not doing it. The SFTP server is just one place I stash things.

Yeah, agreed. Money is the issue at the moment, so it might have to stay the Time Machine drive, copying data to an old PC, and then a thumbnail drive and re-writeable DVDs stored in the safe. Clunky, but temporarily the best I can do. I’m somewhat reluctant to trust some data to an off-site company I don’t know.

There’s also Punakea , which has recently gone from free to $25.
Are regular Finder comments (via command-I)+ spotlight not sufficient?

In that vein, a lot of these applications look for keywords in Spotlight comments with the following syntax:

&keyword &example

Brett - I thought about keywords, but that’s too time consuming for my tastes. A quick file tag would be nice.

I saw Punakea, but really - $28? Ouch! Now, if it could do other things, like MailTags/Act-On combined, that’d be different.

Because I’m starting to deal with hundreds, ultimately thousands of files for my book, this capability is becoming urgent for me. If I’m working in Scrivener, keywords seems like the way to go. If I’m working in the Finder (which is increasingly my preference for anything but actual story drafting, in part, per Keith’s recommendation, because of Scrivener’s slowdown with big databases), it seems like these could be useful. So I did a little experimenting – my apologies if this has been discussed on the forums elsewhere. (I did find a couple of earlier forum chats about this, such as https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/re-tags/5312/2, but none quite on this point.)

First, I gave tagit and tagfile a quick run through, based on the comments here, and preferred TagIt, which requires you to drag a file onto the dock icon and then tag it with whatever term you want, and, yes, you can drop multiple files, which is handy. But those tags don’t appear to show up in spotlight comments or anywhere under the get info menu, and I really prefer to use the built in apple features as much as possible so as not to get wedded to a particular app. It helps that both tagit and tagfile use openmeta standard, as Amber noted. However, when I imported a tagged file into Scrivener, I couldn’t find the tag anywhere in the Inspector, including keywords or synopsis.

Then I tried just using the Finder Spotlight comments, typed in a keyword there, and of course it showed up in Spotlight searches (which you can limit to particular folders). It seems as though that method would work just as well as any of the various OpenMeta utilities like Tagit, wouldn’t it? What are the relative advantages of each system?

Again, when I imported the file into scrivener, I couldn’t find the Spotlight comment anywhere in the imported file with the Inspector open. Am I doing something wrong or does Scrivener not support Spotlight comments or OpenMeta tagging? If not, is this a feature we should consider adding?
Again, my apologies if this has been discussed before; moderators feel free to move this diversion of the topic into a different forum category. I’m just now starting to set up my own metadata system for the book so this is really pertinent for me now, and I appreciate hearing other scriveners’ ideas on it.

Brett - don’t know about Scrivener, so maybe someone with more knowledge could add to that.
It’s a good thought, and though my novel writing hasn’t required the kind of need that yours has, it is interesting.

On the Finder side, I searched the NoodleSoft forums (Hazel), and found several very informative posts on using Hazel and the comments section. Someone has written a script to have Hazel open when new files are added to a folder so that keywords can be added.

For me, I may not even need a tagging system… apparently, I can have hazel monitor my downloads folder, look for the source/download from information and name a file appropriately, including adding the date format at the start of the file name, then move the pdf to a BillPay folder. There, another set of Hazel rules sort the files into their appropriate folders. Over time, the can be color labeled based on age, and moved to a burn folder.

I’m certainly no genius on figuring it all out, but given the how-to, I can usually figure it out. That said, maybe Hazel could help add keywords to your files (or maybe there’s a work-around with Tagit). Hope there is an answer for the Scrivener end.