files converted by Scrivener now inaccessible

I have just installed a trial copy of Scrivener on Mac. The installation went well but somehow a folder on my desktop that I keep writing projects in has become a Scrivener folder and now I can no longer open it.
The files in this folder were created in Pages. Can I reverse this process somehow or at least get access to these files? The message I get when I click on the folder is as follows:

The file “Writing.scriv” could not be opened or updated because it is not a valid Scrivener project.

The project at “/Users/dickhemingway/Desktop/Writing.scriv” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file entitled ‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup.

A lot of work is going to go down the drain if I am unable to retrieve these files.

Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

No problem; you basically just accidentally added a “.scriv” extension to the folder, making it appear as a Scrivener project package–but it isn’t, of course, which is why Scrivener can’t open it. Just edit the file name and remove the “.scriv” and it will appear as a normal folder again. All your work is unchanged inside.

Did you happen to have projects that you moved over from a Windows machine? If you had [project].scrivx files within that Writing folder and tried to open them on the Mac, Scrivener would have prompted you to add a “.scriv” extension to the enclosing folder, which may be how you came to have the extraneous extension. The project still won’t open though because you need the entire .scriv folder from Windows, not just the .scrivx file–on Windows it appears as a folder with a lot of contents, but on a Mac it gets neatly bundled into a package and looks like a single file (as your Writing folder no doubt does now). If that’s the case, just just remove the extension on the Writing folder and then copy the entire [project].scriv folder from your Windows machine and you’ll be able to open it easily on the Mac.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks so much for your reassuring explanation. Since my original post I have been able to retrieve some of the files that I was really concerned about but I accessed them via “recent items” in the Apple tab. I will follow your instructions, however, and rename the folder.

Thanks again, and thanks for your welcome.

Right, the items within the folder haven’t been changed at all. The folder is just showing up as a package (a folder that acts like a single file) so to get inside it you’d need to right-click and choose “Show Package Contents”–if you did that, however, you’d see all your Pages files and whatever else is in there. Deleting the folder extension will make the folder appear as a normal folder again and let you access the contents as usual.

Actually I have just accessed all the files by following your suggestion of right clicking. However, I did remove the .scriv extension and tried to open the folder renamed but it was still, without its extension, not openable!

Whoops, my fault. I always show file extensions, but if you don’t then my instructions don’t work smoothly. Sorry.

Right click on the folder and choose Get Info. Midway down the info pane you should see the file name and extension. Delete the .scriv extension there and then close the pane. If you get the warning about changing the extension, click “Remove”. Now it should be right.

Now it works. Everything back to normal. Didn’t sleep last night. Shall tonight.
Thanks for your patience and clever suggestions.

No problem, sorry to have taken that detour. Get some sleep! :slight_smile: And enjoy working with Scrivener.