Find and replace \n (soft return or shift-enter) with regular carriage return

After copying a text from another editor, I noticed all the line breaks are the ‘Shift-enter’ or soft return character which causes formatting problems later.
Is there a way to convert these into regular carriage return characters ?
For example OpenOffice allows this using Find & Replace - with regular expressions checked :
Find
\n
replace with
\n

1 Like

Version 3 (beta for window) has regular expression search & replace features. For the current release, you can probably copy the line feed character, paste it in to the search field, and then do the same for a regular paragraph break for the replace field.

Hello,
The copy-paste method does not work.
I’m right in the middle of a project, so I don’t want to take the risk of disruption by switching to a beta version.
Any other solutions?
Best regards,
Andrew

I have this problem too – I am trying to change a character to a hard return. I can’t copy the line feed or paragraph symbol in Scrivner, so I don’t have anything to replace the character with. Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s what I found 2 years ago, a workaround using OpenOffice:

Notes on \n, shift-enter, newline, etc. OpenOffice (due to newline characters in Quip - replace \n with \n in OpenOffice then copy paste back to Scrivener)

https://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2005/12/finding_and_rep.html

Thank you so much for replying so quickly.
I was able to do the same work-around in WordPerfect. But because I had embedded references in Scrivner, I was hoping for something less clunky.
But it worked, and I’m moving forward again.

I realise this is coming too late to help out this time, but if you run into the need again, you can type the characters directly into the find/replace dialogue (or Project Replace) using Ctrl+Enter for a hard return and Shift+Enter for a soft.

1 Like