Find the cursor more easily

⌘+j is wonderful for finding the cursor in a text. But for my old eyes even this is sometimes not sufficient.

In stead of the cursor I now have a red dot displayed briefly which then disappears by itself. Looks like this

Maybe someone finds this a good idea. This can easily be done with Keyboard Maestro, BetterTouchTool or something similar.

You could also (permanently) make the cursor more visible using Scrivener settings, insertion point width, color, etc.

This way I’m never sure where the cursor is.

I found two pixels wide is kind of the sweet spot, in combination with a really popping color, without creating unnecessary ambiguities. Something like this:

(It’s even more visible IRL where it blinks.)

1 Like

Two pixel is as you see it in my first post and unfortunately that is not enough for me … be glad you do not have my eyes :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, that didn’t look like it. If this screenshot represents what you see on your screen (about the same dimensions) — I’d have problems spotting the cursor, too.

The red dot is perfect for me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why not increase the zoom level which will make cursor easier to fill

Because … that makes no sense and creates other problems that have to be solved with other measures that create other problems that …

I have found my solution.

SCR-20230918-teio
That makes my cursor basically the width of a character in Times New Roman; it covers the following letter, but blinks revealing it. I can’t take a screenshot of it as it is blinking and it disappears in the screenshot (I think I disabled showing the cursor but can’t find how to re-enable it! :worried:). Very visible even without allocating a different colour.

All that said, I normally have it switched off and use the default.

:slight_smile:
Mark

1 Like

Something to be aware of: apparently the upcoming Mac OS 14 (Sonoma) release no longer supports cursor customization. If that’s important to you, you might want to research alternatives before upgrading.

Do you mean me? If so, thanks @kewms, but what I do does not change the cursor in any way. The red dot just shows where the cursor is for about one second. Somehow this is a misunderstanding I did not post this to get help. It was rather meant as a hint for others who have the same problem and use KM or BTT with Scrivener.

Anyway, I still won’t upgrade… for now :slightly_smiling_face:

You mean like… an alternative operating system? :thinking:

3 Likes

I posted in this thread because it’s a recent thread dealing with cursor visibility, and several people suggested using Scrivener’s own cursor configuration settings. Which apparently will stop working in Sonoma.

Since your method does not change the cursor, presumably it will continue to work, which may make your hint especially helpful after the update.

1 Like

Are you sure this is an intended change and not a bug? Would be a weird move by Apple to introduce customizable mouse pointer colors in Monterey and now this… Considering that a lot of programs offer such customization, including some Apple apps (e.g. Terminal).

You would have to ask Apple about that.

Thanks, I’ve adjusted the tags accordingly, as ‘feedback’ would generally imply you’ve got something to say about Scrivener for macOS—hence probably the confusion.

It’s a neat trick, do you have the recipe available for anyone who might wish to apply it? Which settings would you use in BTT or KM?

Personally I do wish Apple would add a small flair (or hook for adding one) to their “Jump to Selection” behaviour, similar to how they did for Find Next/Prev, several years ago. I don’t really see any difference in the outcome and usage of these two commands that would warrant one being nearly invisible and the other having a bright yellow beacon.

Good news:

This is Scrivener 3.3.1 (15588) running on macOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A339), likely the final release candidate. Theme L&Ls “A Midsummer Night”, with a 2 pixel wide pink caret created by me via Scrivener’s settings. (The purple gizmo below the cursor is just for the giggles, caps lock activated.)

Further fun, Apple’s TexEdit with the default system accent color (which the caret uses as its default color):

In short: Customizable cursors are still a thing. And there’s nothing that L&L has to change for them to work, as far as I can tell.

Out of curiosity, have you tried turning off the block cursor setting, or setting it to something outrageous? It is my understanding that macOS 14 will be using the iOS cursor across the board (I haven’t actually installed the beta yet, so I’m going off of hearsay). I.e. with the exception of your custom colour, which as I understand is still allowed (wait a year or two for that to go away, I’m sure), might it be a coincidence that your settings match the underlying cursor now?

If I turn it off, the cursor keeps the same color (if set) and returns to its 1px “hairline” default width. Same behavior as before on Ventura. And I still can go crazy, say 10px:

10px

I don’t think so.

Bottom line: Don’t worry, folks.

1 Like