Flesch-Kinkaid readability

Yes… Vic-k is absolutely correct: The conjunctions were where the con-men met, when they were out and about.

One doesn’t wish to appear pedantic (well, not, too pedantic), but the preceding sentence doesn’t make any sense at all. Even when considering its provenance.

If it was: But only for the HAW from Stockport, and his selfless, humanitarian and philanthropic devotion to his fellow man, Stockport would be far more dangerous than even the Palace of Westminster. not only would it make perfect sense, syntactically, it would be an expression of a simple, but profound truth.

And you are telling me that there is only one HAW in all of Stockport? Even though I was magnanimous to allow all of them to post the same and get the supreme win? For shame Mr K. For shame.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Numpt,
I’m not casting Nasturtiums apropos your ability to recognise genius when you encounter it, as with

and I wouldn’t dream of denying you the right of exercising your prerogative in withholding your largess from others, more than likely less than worthy of such munificence.

as in: :unamused:

But in order to capitalise up to the ul-ti-mate-max-i-mum, on such generosity, we need to enlist the aid of our Super Hero, Conjunction But in his true role:

So you see numpt, no offence intended. :wink:
Conjunctions Rule!OK!! :smiling_imp:
Vic

Yet both coordinating conjunctions and correlative conjunctions are put in perspective when subordinating conjunctions arrive. And for the fanboys and conmen, all this really makes one consider conjunctivitis in a different way…

D’ y’ mean like sitivitcnujnoc or civic jinn stout.

Whichever, I wouldn’t ever trust a kinky aid in the flesh… Not even when writing.

Not even Flesch-Belinda Balloons-Kinkyaid? :smiling_imp: Lovely girl, Belinda :wink:
Vic

Well, I won’t have it said I’m inflexible. Would that be some kind of b’onjunctions? :stuck_out_tongue:

More of a Domin-junctionX

With a Bella Donna, i’d say it’s a donjunction. Kinky or not, i’d try to be ready and able, which is what it’s all about, this ‘readybility’, ain’t it?

“Have you tried this Flesch-Kinkyaid readybility?” he asked, knowingly, “Nudge-nudge, know what I mean, nudge-nudge’?”

Ayup!! Hang on to something grounded in reality, for all is to be revealed! It’s just come to me in a flash! NO! I don’t mean one of those flasher experiences. Are you ready?
Flesch-Kinkyaid readybility? <— That … is where E.L. James, gets all her stuff from!!! :smiling_imp: Obvious … init?

… and we wouldn’t want THAT suddenly poppin’ up in Schrrivener, changin’ the shades of the fonts or something. :open_mouth:

Hi. Does Scrivener have Grade Level Reading rating function? Similar to Hemingway.
Jay

Hello jayallen, and welcome to the forum.

No, Scrivener does not have rating tools to help a writer review the reading grades of their work.

Instead, Scrivener’s design is focused on assisting the writer with writing early drafts of the documents in the manuscript while helping keep the reference materials close at hand.

If you’re still learning your way around Scrivener, I’d recommend starting with its Interactive Tutorial, which is a sample project you can access using the Help menu. It’s a good place to learn about Scrivener’s core features and setup.

And, I’m a fan of using the tutorial to test out different features, compile formats, and other items before I use them with my working projects. The tutorial can easily be reset to its original form, so I can be more adventurous with my testing without fearing I’ll break my working project.

1 Like

Grading schemes depend on the type of material tested and the audience for it. The man page for FSF’s style program gives short descriptions of what some scheme compare text against. Kincaid, for example, is for grading military manuals. If you really want to use a grading scheme make sure you understand how it was created and what document types is intended to grade.

Also some imlementations of these measures arbitrarily cut off the scale. FSF’s style does not. Word is notorious for cut-offs where style would report a text as being at a post-doctoral research level Word reports it as 12th grade—lot of difference between those two scores.

1 Like

I’ve merged this with an existing thread on the topic (though searching the forum for “readability” or “grade rating” would have produced a number of other alternatives to read from, some of which I linked to above. Also worth noting is a technical limitation that would make this quite difficult to reinvent from scratch. Lastly is a tip for Mac users who are not limited by what individual software programs provide themselves (at least for now, Apple seems bent on destroying the fabric of multitasking and cooperative computing in the name of security theatre).

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, Ruth!

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated.