Folders in Collections Please (with suggestion on how to do it)

It would be VERY handy to have folders available in collections, rather than having collections ONLY be flat. I want to create two versions of the same chapters in my book to see which presentation works better. A chapter is a folder with documents (scenes). I’d like to create a chapter as a folder in a collection, and include new versions of some of the documents and (aliases for) older versions of others.

I’ve see this feature request was denied before, because collection items can come from anywhere in the binder (or search). But why not allow me to create a folder in the collection, then save that as a new document in the binder (which is current functionality for new documents in a collection), then move document aliases in the collection into that collection folder? I can see why you wouldn’t want a folder from the binder to be a folder in a collection. So why not just allow for a folder-in-collection document which shows up in the binder as a separate document but allows items in the collection to be moved within it?

This would be very, very helpful.

Since a “collection” is not actually a set of files on disk that can be organised into folders, but is rather merely a list of links to files in the binder, how could you create a “folder” in the middle of that list?

:smiley:

Mark

Why do you need a separate folder? Can’t the collection itself serve that purpose?

That is, create a collection called “Chapter 5 Variants” and put both the new and older versions in it. Collection order doesn’t change Binder order unless you explicitly tell it to, so you can shuffle things around to your heart’s content.

Imagine a book with 50 chapters, each of which has 20 scenes. The collection will be a linear list of 1000 items. Now suppose I have 3 variants of every document, one for each of 3 variants of the chapters. Now I have 3000 documents in the collection! The titles of the documents for which they are aliases is the only clue as to where they belong in the narrative. I can’t group “chapter 3 variant 1” together in the collection and distinguish it easily from chap 3 var 2 and chap 6 var 3. See?

Hi, Mark. It’s easy. I create folders, named say “chapter 3 variant 1” and “chapter 4 variant 1” in the binder. To create a collection of variant 1 I include aliases to those two folders and, UNDER THEM, include alias from the binder belonging to the appropriate variants. It is like in most file systems: I can create a folder which has aliases in it in order to show the underlying files in different groupings. I totally get that the “folder” can’t be an alias, but that’s not the problem. The problem is I’d like to organize my aliases in something other than a flat list.

btw, my current solution is to create a metadata checklist for “version 1”, “version 2”, etc. Then I spend way too much time clicking on those check boxes. Then I create a collection for each variant. Basically, I’m creating a hierarchy with checklists then replicating that in flattened form in the collection. Very, very awkward.

There are other ways of doing this. If you really must have 3 different versions of the same project, you should think about the space it is going to take. That said, you can very simply duplicate the project twice and put those copies outside the main draft folder.

That said, how about using the snapshot feature and only change the documents that you want to change. It would be much easier to change that text, since it is already in the same structure.

No metadata was harmed in this post.

Note that you could use the Status or Label field for this pretty easily. Either field allows you to change what the available settings are.

Why would you have 3000 documents in the collection? If you only want to look at Chapter 3 variants, then create a collection that only contains Chapter 3 variants. If you only want to look at variant 1 for multiple chapters, then create a collection that only contains variant 1.