Footnote/Endnote Number Italicized When Following Italicized Text

In looking at my endnotes, everywhere an endnote follows italicized text the endnote number is italicized. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It doesn’t matter if it’s standard or inline.

Do you use the footnote marker or a highlighted word as the foot/endnote marker? If the latter, presumably, if that word is italicised, the attribute will be carried over to the foot/endnote index. I haven’t tested, but if you use the marker — * by default — you should be able to ensure that it is not given the italic attribute.


I’ve tried it both ways and get the same result. I’ve made sure that the marker (*) itself is not italicized, but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

UPDATE: This glitch appears to be limited to Apple Pages. In Word, the endnote numbers are not italicized. I had to buy Word to discover this, mostly due to features lacking in Scrivener.

Did you ever find a workaround to this? Any extended quote with an endnote (which is italicized) produces italicized endnotes and there seems to be nothing I can do to stop it from happening.

Within the Scrivener editor, the source text is not italicized—it gets italicized upon compile. This creates italicized endnotes and I’d love to figure out a way around it. Currently having to manually edit the PDF to fix this problem.

Many thanks!

The only solution I found was buying Microsoft Word and no longer using Pages.

I can’t reproduce this. Can someone please attach a zipped-up sample project showing the problem?

I created the attached test file to see if I could replicate the issue. Within Scrivener, I used Insert > Footnote to attach a footnote to “main body” text that is italicised and to text that is not italicised. I also created cases where the footnote text itself is italicised and not italicised. I then compiled from Scrivener 3 to ePub 2 and to PDF.

In all cases the endnote number came out non-italicised. So I was not able to re-create the issue. You mention MS Word and Apple Pages. I assume you are importing text from those products into Scrivener. If yes, maybe something undesired is happening in the import process, though not sure what that could be.

FYI: When I do File > Compile > Edit Format > Footnotes & Comments, below is what I see. You might want to check your settings.

My SCRIV test file is attached.
Test - (122 KB)

Here you go. This includes the project, the exported format (in case that’s needed) and an example output PDF to illustrate the problem quickly.

Many thanks! (317 KB)

Thanks for the sample project. It seems that there is a bug whereby the style being applied to the surrounding paragraph is affecting the footnote. I am hopeful that I now have this fixed for 3.0.3 (I now have it working properly in your sample project).

All the best,

Wow- Many thanks Keith. That’s awesome to hear. If you had to guess on the drop for 3.0.3, do you think it would be in the next few days or more like weeks/months? Just trying to decide whether to wait for the fix or try and do it manually.


Imminently, perhaps? See the comment at the foot of the following post about 3.0.3’s possible release schedule…


Ha, yes, my plan had been to release it two weeks ago, but then the Bank Holiday came around and I suddenly had a billion support requests. Very soon, though - the next couple of weeks.

All the best,

Awesome thanks.

For anyone with a similar problem, here’s my workaround:

  1. Compile one version as you would normally. The endnotes may have formatting errors as caused by the bug mentioned above.
  2. Compile another version, but in the Styles panel, disable italics or any other formatting for any particular styles which are creating incorrectly rendered endnotes. This version will be incorrect for the body of the publication, but the endnotes will be correct.
  3. Open both manuscripts in Adobe Acrobat.
  4. Click on Tools, then Organize Pages.
  5. In the first manuscript, delete the endnote pages with the incorrect styling. Save.
  6. In the other manuscript, delete everything except the endnotes. Use shift to select hundreds of pages at once. Save.
  7. In the first manuscript, click on the “Insert > From File” menu item.
  8. Making sure the second manuscript has been saved, select that PDF and use the controls to insert it where appropriate (probably after the last page).
  9. Save and you should have a correct PDF.

Thanks for sharing that solution.

And for anyone who doesn’t have Acrobat:

  1. Open both PDFs in separate Preview windows, with thumbnails showing in the sidebars.

  2. In the errant manuscript, select the thumbnail of the endnotes page and delete it by pressing the delete key.

  3. In the manuscript with the correct endnotes formatting, select the thumbnail of the endnotes page with your mouse/trackpad and simply drag it into the sidebar of the other PDF (no need to delete any of the other pages in the second PDF as Preview can pick up single pages or multiple contiguous or noncontiguous pages, as selected by the user). If you happen to drop the dragged page in the wrong place, you can move it again by re-dragging the thumbnail to where you want it to be.