Footnote numbers in Paper (APA) Template appear odd after compile

When compiling a draft created using Scrivener’s APA paper template, into Word .doc or docx, an ugly extra space is inserted before the footnote number, as it appears in the main text (see attached image of a Word .docx document).This doesn’t happen if a draft is created using the ‘blank’ template, nor does it happen when an APA paper draft is compiled into an .rtf or html file.

Is this a bug, or is there some way to adjust how this spacing will appear in this template? Please forgive the tedious placeholder text :slight_smile:

I can’t reproduce this, I’m afraid, and I can’t even account for why it would happen, given that exactly the same converter is used for the Blank and APA templates, and the docx file is created by converting RTF to docx using a third-party converter. Could you possibly attach a sample project showing the problem?

Thanks,
Keith

Thanks Keith,

Your efforts are much appreciated. Ive attached two projects, one created using the Paper (APA) template, the other via the Blank template.

In each project, the file that has the footnoted text is the Abstract. I have included images of the relevant pages of the compiled Word files below (MS Word for Mac v 16.9, Office 365 Subscription) from the two projects.

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 10.29.38 am.png From Paper (APA)

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 10.29.06 am.png From Blank

Also: According to Scrivener, Im using the latest version: “Scrivener 3.0.1 is currently the newest version available.”

Cheers

Geoff

Two Templates.zip (224 KB)

Hi Geoff,

This is very strange, as I cannot reproduce this at all. I exported from the projects you included to Word, and everything looked as expected - and I’m using Office 365 with Word 16.10 (I updated after testing with an earlier version in case it had anything to do with an update in Word).

The only thing I can think of is this: the APA format “flattens” footnotes so that they are inserted as static text in the necessary location of the document, as opposed to using true Word/RTF footnotes that most Compile formats use. When Scrivener does this, because it handles inserting all of the numbes and notes itself, it inserts an invisible “word joiner” character between the end of the word and the footnote number. This ensures that the footnote number always stays with the word and can never cross onto the next line without the word going with it. So the only thing I can think of is that for some reason this character is appearing as a space in Word for you. I have no idea why this should be so, though. A word-joiner is a zero-width character so should never appear as a space, and I’m using the same version of Word as you and all looks fine. (I tried looking through Word’s Preferences to see if something there might be the cause, but found nothing.) So I’m slightly stumped as to the cause at the moment, I’m afraid.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith,

I updated my Word to 16.10, still the same. I imagine the problem exists because of some particular setting in my instance of Mac Word. In fact when I open a Word file with the issue in Windows Word, using Parallels on my Mac, the space is gone!

I followed the suggestions of a Mac forum user, talkingmoose, here:

jamf.com/jamf-nation/discus … ially-word

…to reset the Mac Word prefs .plist, but that user also states that most prefs are in a .reg file, which I dont know how to deal with. In any case, Word ‘noticed’ that I had done something after resetting the .plist, because when I restarted Word, it ‘welcomed’ me to the program, Nevertheless, the footnote issue still exists.

One positive: the extra space, when copied, and pasted into Word’s search and replace box, can be used to globally remove all instances of the extra space. So that’s a relatively easily applied band-aid for the moment.

Just in case it helps you understand the problem, the extra space is super-scripted, and has the same formatting as the footnote number itself. Ive attached a Word file with the errant numbers in evidence.

Cheers

Geoff

APA Simple 9.zip (11.8 KB)

Weird - I don’t know what I was doing yesterday, but I can reproduce it easily now. The problem seems to lie either in Word or in the third-party converter I use (Aspose). If you export to RTF and open the RTF file in Word, the problem doesn’t appear (so this is a good solution for now - you can then save the RTF to .docx from Word). I have reported the issue to Aspose, so will let you know what they say. They are usually very good at replying to bug reports and addressing them (another footnote-related bug I reported to them last month is already fixed for our next release).

I could always remove the word-joiners from my code, but that would be a last resort, because if I do that, you can end up with footnote markers getting pushed onto the next line, separated from the word they should be attached to. So I’ll wait to see what Aspose say first.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith,

As to whether it’s the converter or Word itself, the fact that a document (compiled to .docx) does not have the issue when its opened in Word in Windows seems to suggest that Mac Word handles the joiner differently than Windows Word?

The RTF export works for me too.

Cheers

Geoff