Footnotes as endnotes

Hi,

When I compile as a pdf I get my footnotes (and inline footnotes) as endnotes at the end of the document.

How to make it appear at the end of each page? And which footnotes should I use (footnotes or inline footnotes icon)?

screencast.com/t/Rw4IxGmD

thanks

sergi

Either footnote features are fine. A list of potential reasons as to why you might wish to use one or the other is provided on page 135 of the user manual, in the introduction to Ch. 17. It’s a largely preferential choice though. Both go to the same footnote stream on output and thus can be used mixed or exclusively.

As to why PDF does not produce end-of-page footnotes: well, we just don’t have a sophisticated desktop publishing system behind Scrivener’s text engine. It isn’t capable of performing all of the complicated things necessary to do this. If you need proper footnotes, you should be using a word processor to clean up the file after you’ve compiled out. I recommend using RTF unless you have to use something else. Most word processors read it, and the quality of that will be higher than any other format, so it’s worth a shot.

This may be as simple as opening up the RTF in OpenOffice or Word and generating a PDF from there. I think you can just make a PDF from Office 2010 (but that might be something I have installed). I know OO can do this.

Ok, and will the footnotes appear at the end of each page if I compile it for kindle?
thanks

That isn’t possible with e-books. There is no such thing as a page in a Kindle, only the amount of text currently being displayed, which will vary depending upon font size, margin widths, line-spacing and other reader preferences. We’re working on fixing a bug with this that exists right now, where cross-reference hyperlinks between the note number in the text and the note, and a returning link from that note are not appearing—but that is how it should work once it is fixed.