Format Headings; folders, pages?

Is it possible to set up heading formatting while in Scrivener, so that when I export to Word, the headings will transfer over?

One person said it was necessary to use folder, because they could be formatted, where pages cannot? I don’t know. How can I set up H1,2,3 while in Scrivener that will transfer over when exported?

I’ve heard conflicting advice on this.

Not automatically, but it is very easy to do this. I have posted tips on how to do so here.

It sounds like they might have briefly gone over the Formatting pane in the compiler without looking into it further. There are no such restriction in Scrivener, it is extremely flexible. However some of the starter templates assume that one will be using folders to generate major section titles, such as parts and chapters or sections (depending on the template), while files will be used to hold the content of those sections. It’s a useful way of working, but it isn’t necessary. The necessary thing, when thinking about stylesheets, is to make sure that each independent semantic component of the document has easy to identify formatting for the sake of Word’s select similar formatting tool.

Just know that if it is easier for you, you can also use files (pages, as you put) to generate text and titles, in that Formatting compile pane. More advanced usage can even have different styles at different levels, which is what you will need to learn if you intend to have multiple heading styles. This pane is thoroughly documented in §22.8 (starting pg. 205) of the user manual PDF.

Isn’t the most obvious solution, to just use subfolders, in place of files, where I would want heading formatting to transfer over to word?

Well we do have a project template for people that do want to start with the assumption of sub-heads for files. The “Non-Fiction (with Sub-Heads)” is nothing fancy, but if you do want to see how it can be done, that’s a nice place to start from. You will see in that project that the Formatting compile pane settings are quite a bit more articulate than just the three basic types, or having one indented file type to handle “sections” or “scenes”. There are four levels of depth for every type. They continue to make the assumption that you won’t be writing book content into folders (though you can easily change that with a few checkboxes in this pane), but files and file groups both also assume you want titles for each and every binder item.

I’d be willing to guess that most technical manuals and informational books designed to be used as spot references have sub-heads. If there are large groupings to skim through, it breaks up the flow of the text and makes it easier for readers to find what they are looking for. If the purpose of the material is to be read cover to cover, maybe that’s a different story and sub-heads could be viewed as an aesthetic choice, but if readers need to be able to dive in and find a specific topic that itself isn’t large enough to merit a whole chapter and ToC entry, it would be a real pain to find that information without sub-heads.