Formatting in same project

Okay, I’ll try and explain this as best I can:

I’ve got several text files in a single project. I’ve been trying to get them all formatted within Scrivener before Compiling. I tried to compile it once, and would have to spend hours re-doing it in Word. Here’s what’s happening:

In one section, Things are perfect: single spacing, hit return, new paragraph already indented. Type in text, hit Return, new paragraph indented.

In other sections, type text, hit Return, new paragraph, I have to hit the Tab key to get to the right place to start the paragraph.

What I’m hoping for is a way to reformat the sections into a uniform manner prior to Exporting or Compiling. I’ve tried Convert>Formatting to Default Text Style with mixed results.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Questions???

Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style is definitely the best way to do this, but you will have to make sure the default text style is set up how you want it first, of course. So, first check the “Formatting” pane of the Preferences and make sure it’s set up with the format you want. Also when you choose Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style, you’ll need to ensure all the tickboxes are unticked if you want to override all the formatting.

Another consideration is that if you have manually entered tabs at the beginning of paragraphs in some documents, if you then convert the formatting for those documents to have an indent, that won’t get rid of the tab - so the first line may be indented further for those documents until you delete the tabs. (You can do a project find on the tab character by typing Option-tab into the search field in the toolbar.)

Also remember that you can always override the formatting during the compile process.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hi, Keith-

Thanks for the quick reply. Between that and “Show Invisibles”, I’ve got it under control! Not sure how, but tons of Tabs got in there, and that’s what was throwing everything off. My fumble fingers, probably…:slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Glad it helped!