Freeze columns in outline view

In my current writing approach, I have a lot of structured custom meta-data about my individual documents – 15-20 fields worth. I do recognize it verges on treating Scrivener like a database, but it’s an important component of how I work. In any case, including all of these as columns in the outliner leads to an outline that’s much too wide. It looks, in fact, like a spreadsheet, which is just what I want it to do. So it would be useful if it had this one spreadsheet capability: the ability to select a column and “freeze” it, so that this column and those to its left stay put, and all the columns to the right can scroll left-right. Spreadsheets proper implement an up-down freeze as well as left-right, but for me, left-right is fine.

One possible implementation is for a user to first give focus to a specific outliner column (for example by editing a cell), then choose a menu option or button that would freeze that column and all those to its left. Any change to column ordering or which columns were displayed would “unfreeze” everything, I would think.

As a software developer myself, I will scrupulously avoid telling you that I think this feature is “easy”! It would, however, be highly beneficial to my writing workflow. Thanks for considering it.

I don’t know if I’d use this or not, but I could see the utility in it.

Please, I so need the freezing column thing. I use excell a lot to write stories, but I’m migrating to Scrivener through the years because it has functionalities that excel lack. But this one thing excel does and it’s so helpful to structure and organizing. Please.

Created an account just to agree with this! I’m writing a mystery that also uses a lot of metadata, and I just need the first/title column to freeze so I can track all the activity across the page.