Getting clickable links in kindle output from scrivener for windows

Full disclosure: I’m a newbie to Scrivener. I’m finishing up my first book (actually an 8500 word technical user’s guide) for publication to Kindle.

I’m feeling like I’ve been sold a bill of goods, because all the blog posts and YouTube videos praise Scrivener for its capability to produce output for multiple different destinations from the same manuscript, and most specifically cite Kindle. But they seem to have omitted the disclosure that “Oh, BTW, this only works on Mac. Windows? Your out of luck.”

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get Kindle output that even approaches acceptable. My three areas of difficulty (and I am willing to admit to the possibility of pilot error here, but I need someone to point it out):

1. Seems impossible to generate a real table of contents - i.e., one with clickable links for chapters and sub-chapters, with the subchapter headings indented under the chapter headings. The only thing I’ve been able to generate is the auto-generated TOC with just chapter headings, and no control or visibility at all - I can’t even see where the TOC is, it just magically appears.

2. Clickable links within the book - i.e., when one chapter references material in another chapter, I want to have a clickable link that takes the reader there. I’ve seen some posts of videos that seem to hint that you can do that in ePub and then convert it, but I can’t even get it in ePub.

3. Mysterious formatting. I have a few sections with mutliple sub-headings (not sub-chapters, just headings on the page) where the sub-headings appear identically formatted in the editor, but one will render one way, and the other a different way in the Kindle output. Specifically, I want the sub-heads flush left, and they appear that way in the editor, but some of them are indented in the output as though it were a conventional paragraph.

Can anyone point me to some help?

Thanks.

First , let me say as an aside that I am extremely disappointed in the responsiveness of tech support. I posted what, for me, is a major show-stopping issue, and have gotten zero response from tech support for 5 days.

So I have muddled through on my own, and I think I have found a solution to my problems. Generating the clickable links that I want as scrivener links in the editor, then compiling to a Word doc (using .docx format), and then using Kindle Previewer to convert to a .mobi format, I was able to get clickable links both in the table of contents, and for inter-chapter references within the text itself. However, the Previewer gave the warning that Enhanced Typesetting was enabled on the original (.docx) file, but was not enabled in the .mobi file. I’m not sure what that is about. When I view the .mobi file in the Kindle App, the links are clickable, but they are not rendered in the blue underline. I’m thinking that may be an attribute of enhanced type setting. I will experiment with converting the word doc to html and uploading that to Amazon, as recommended in the Amazon publication “Building Your Book for Kindle”.

I was able to resolve the styling issue on headings by copying the format from a heading that was working properly, and pasting it to the ones that weren’t working. I’m still not clear on what it was that produced the differences.

I do like the flexibility that Scrivener gives in being able to write in sections and move them around, but formatting the book for publication is a HUGE pain. It calls into serious question whether I will use Scrivener for my next book or not.

Did you contact tech support…? This is a user forum… not tech support.

As noted, this is a user forum. For tech support, go here:
literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

By the time your next book is ready to publish, there’s a good chance Scrivener 3 for Windows will be ready. It is intended to achieve feature parity with the Mac version.

Katherine

Katherine, thanks for the link. This was the only thing I was able to find on literatureandlatte website that said anything about tech support (after all, the name of this forum is “Technical Support”), and I see that a number of people that seem to be from tech support post and reply here regularly, so I thought this was the resource. But in the future I will use the Contact Us link.

In the top menu of the web site, to the right, you have Learn & Support. Click on that and you end up on a page that halfway down has a big Contact Us in the middle and also at the bottom right. The links leading to this forum are found under Community and Forum which talks about “fellow users”.

He’s got a point, though – “Contact us” doesn’t convey the same connotation as “Need help” or “Get support” or something like that would.

Still, the Forum is presented in several places as a place to “chat with fellow users”. It’s not presented as an official support channel anywhere, is it? :unamused:

“ask for help” isn’t clear whether it is with peers or staff.

I’m not saying the website is lying, but there a few minor tweaks that could be done to improve the visibility of the official support option.

Oh, I don’t dispute that. My initial objection concerned the statement that it was impossible to find any hint on the site about how to get help except through the user forum…

The contact page does mention “support” repeatedly, though I suspect that the forum is highlighted in general in order to help to eke out the tech-support resources that are available (no phone support being another example of managing limited resources) while also creating a sense of community among users, which is a pretty smart thing to do.

I think the order of the wording of “watch tutorial videos, browse help materials, chat with fellow users or ask us a question” is, wisely enough, deliberately skewed to promote the benefits of self-help and community help first and foremost, with official L&L support as a last resort. It is, after all, often quicker to RTFM or to ask a question in the forum rather than to wait for a response from tech support (and that is not meant as a criticism of tech support, just a statement of fact).