Getting ready for a new Mac [M1 compatibility]

Dear Scrivener fellows. In a few days my new Mac will be delivered and I am going to switch from my INTEL MacPro (2013) to a new Mac Studio with M1 MAX. The new Mac will be my future workstation for the next couple of years and I want to continue producing seamlessly. Are there any known issues with the Scrivener app, or does everything work just fine with Apple Silicon?

1 Like

No problems here. You should be good to go.

1 Like

It keeps working just fine. Congrats on the nice new kit!

1 Like

Thank you much for your quick answers. Good to hear there is a smooth transition.

Enjoy your new Mac. Two tips will fix the most common “new computer” issues that I see:

• Install the latest version of Scrivener from a fresh download. Don’t attempt to copy the installed version of Scrivener from your old system.

• Make sure that the new system is up and running and your work has successfully transferred before you dispose of the old system.

Tips for transferring your preferences files across can be found here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/macos/installing-on-additional-computers

1 Like

I appreciate your tips. Yes, I do have planned to setup a fresh system. I have already saved a backup of my data twice. Data loss would be a nightmare and I do not want to go for any risk.
Look forward to run the Scrivener app on the new beast.

The move to the new Mac Studio is complete and, as expected, there were no problems setting up Scrivener.
What I noticed immediately is the faster compilation of the eBooks and the significantly shorter time to save the backup before closing the app.
Global text operations, such as “replace in project”, also run much faster.
Since Scrivener doesn’t benefit from the higher GPU performance, it’s probably the higher CPU core count, the faster unified memory and the 64 GByte I’ve designed for it.
Certainly, the SSD components have also become much faster since then, which accelerates the writing and reading speed of files, especially with large container files (Scrivener project files).
In conclusion, I am very happy with Scrivener on the new Mac and hope the development of your excellent app continues.

1 Like

I also just bought a Mac Studio with M1 Max and Scrivener is working fine except…when I open my new project (41 KB total!) from “Open Recent” I get a beach ball for 8 or 10 seconds before the project opens. Is this an issue?

Once I’ve opened it, it opens and closes more swiftly. But I’m surprised at any sluggishness with such a powerful Mac and tiny project. Any thoughts appreciated…

Is the project stored with a cloud service?

Thank you for the question. I’m a writer, not very techie, and I just made the move from a dead 11-year-old iMac to the Mac Studio with lots of stuff on external drives.

Which is a long way of saying that when I click “Show Project in Finder,” the project is in a WD My Book external drive.

This delay in opening your project is probably due to the type of hard drive in your external drive. Modern macs all contain solid state drives. What this means is that they have no moving parts, and work super-fast at all times.

Your “my book” hard drive is likely the older style that’s still in use; internally, it probably has spinning disks and moving styluses (think record + record player). To access a file on an older style disk, the discs internally must be spinning at top speed (usually 5400 to 7200 rounds per minute) before it can start reading a file. When such a drive is not in use for a few minutes, Mac OS typically lets that drive stop spinning to save electricity, which was super-important when Mac laptops had that type of drive, to save on battery life. But even now, it’s the environmentally conscious thing to do when a company creates huge numbers of such drives to be used by individual consumers.

So, the delay is because the Mac tells the drive to start spinning from a dead stop, waiting until it does, and then actually getting to the part where it starts reading your project files and giving that data to Scrivener.

If you move your project to your new Mac’s internal drive (say, into your Document folder), it will open a lot faster.

Hello Cappy and welcome to the Scrivener community.
I have made a similar leap, from a MacPro 2013 (Trash Can) to the new Mac Studio. I have set up a Dropbox directory on the really fast system SSD where my Scrivener files are stored and backed up automatically. Opening from the internal SSD is as fast as an arrow and without any delay, even with large project files (mine has now grown to 0.5 GB).
Your external WD is probably also connected to the Mac via a slow connection (USB?), which is not so important for backups, but it is for working on an external storage medium.
If it absolutely has to be external, then I recommend buying an external SSD and connecting it to the Mac via Thunderbold 4. Because of the high data transfer rate, there is almost no difference to the internal SSD.

Thank you for the help and the education!

Thanks Thomas. I will do the same. It’s very helpful to know I need an SSD external to work from if I choose that route.

SSD or not, external is slower than internal. I’d keep critical files internal and offload files for which performance is not as important. That said, a modern Mac and any modern drive will not be slow … just not as fast as it could be, perhaps.

Thank you. This is very helpful. As a writer, I loaded up most of my 2TB iMac and realized I didn’t need a 4TB Mac Studio, but needed to work more effectively with externals. Thanks again.

Thanks again. I moved Scrivener to documents, where it should be, and it pops up on the screen right away. The external drive I’m using for an extra, manual copy.

1 Like

:open_mouth: What are you storing? 2 TB is a LOT of data.

Media archives are a good candidate for external storage. They’re big files so they take a lot of space, but they tend not to change very much, and because they’re big files the initial “access” time is a smaller fraction of the total.