Getting the Most out of Scrivener for Chromebooks

Hi everyone,

Just signed up to post this in case it helps anyone. There’s the odd question out there about getting Scrivener to run on a Chromebook. Obviously, don’t get a Chromebook if you want to run Scrivener but for those who had the laptop first, then the software or can’t / don’t want to buy a windows or ios laptop, I thought I’d share how I got it working quite nicely. Running it isn’t difficult, we can just use a program called CrossOver. But getting it to save or backup your projects to Google Drive is tricky and I do not trust my laptop’s hard drive, it tends to wait until you’ve written 150,000 words then die. Below is how I found a way to do it.

It’s a bit of a workaround but once it’s set up, there’s nothing else you need to do except write (and click save)!

Firstly, you’ll need a Chromebook with an intel processor. The list of compatible Chromebooks is here:
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/devices-systems/laptops/chromebooks.html

Secondly, on your Chromebook (CB), install CrossOver from the Android play store. This is the program that will let us run Scrivener on our CB. Link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codeweavers.cxoffice

Once it’s downloaded, open it up and type “Scrivener” in the Search Applications bar. It should automatically list results, so just click Install and let it go. Note: You still need a registered version of Scrivener. This is not pirated software or any of those shenanigans.

However, once installed, Scrivener will ask for your serial code (which you should put in) but then struggle to connect with Literature and Latte’s servers to confirm the activation because of the way CrossOver works. So once Scrivener is installed within CrossOver, click it’s icon under where it says Installed Apps and click Manage.

A new page will appear where you need to click the cog icon on the right. Click Install component, find Internet Explorer 8 and click Install. Go grab your tenth coffee of the day because this install takes a while (with prompts, so keep checking back).

Once that’s done, you’ll need to go back to the Android Play store and download Google Drive (Yep, Chromebooks already come with the Chrome version of this but you specifically need the Android version as well. Don’t worry ,once its all set up it can just sit there and you can ignore it while you use the in built Chrome Google Drive).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs

Sign in with your Google account in the Android Google Drive app and then head back to the Play store and download the last piece of the puzzle, a free piece of software called Autosync for Google Drive.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync

Use the same Google account to sign into Autosync and then there’s one last step. Create a new folder in your Google Drive (not your laptop’s drive), call it something like, “Scrivener Backup” and when you open Autosync it’ll prompt you to make a connection between two folders for syncing. Click the option that says you’ll make your own connection and then where it says “Remote folder in Google Drive”, choose your “Scrivener Backup” folder, and in the option for “Local folder in device” navigate to the Download folder and then choose the folder you’ll be saving your Scrivener projects to locally (you’ll need to create one if you haven’t already). Finally, select “Upload only” in the “Sync Method” option and click Save.

I know that all seems convoluted but this was the only way I could find that would a) allow the use of Scrivener on Chrome and b) allow my Scrivener projects to be automatically backed up to my google drive, something Scrivener can’t do from within CrossOver.

I hope that helped anyone in the tiny minority of fools like me writing their novel on a Chromebook. If there’s anyone that needs more detail, just say.

Harrington.

If you go this route, be aware that Google Drive has a reputation for doing Not Nice Things ™ to Scrivener projects, so make sure you have appropriately configured your backup options.

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that so I’ll certainly post here again and warn others if things go awry.

I use this same method, only I sync my project files to Dropbox via Dropsync.

Many thanks for this…I’m currently in middle of install and wonder if Internet Explorer is specifically required to make this work. Chrome won’t suffice? Also, getting a lot of requests to accept terms of numerous Microsoft installs (fonts, parsers, etc.) Is that normal, or to be expected? Thanks.

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation!

I have not entered the activation key yet, but otherwise, it seems to be working really well except for one small problem…

I can’t figure out how to type accented characters. I tried various keyboards (extended, French-Candian, etc) but no matter what I do, the accented characters don’t “make” it to scrivener. I can type in another window, and the é key types é in that window, but in Scrivener only sees /

Any insight would be most welcome

Oh well.

I asked for support from the Crossover makers, Codeweavers, and this is their answer;

In theory, CrossOver will allow you to run your Windows version of Scrivener on Chromebook. However, it’s currently badly supported by the developer, and there are no reports of users accessing Scrivener on Chromebook this way. It’s theoretically possible though.

Is the intel processor an absolute must? Do you know what will happen if I try this with a mediatek processor?

Errm, I think the OP Harrington just reported that they were actually accessing Scrivener on a Chromebook this way. The actual quote: "I hope that helped anyone in the tiny minority of fools like me writing their novel on a Chromebook. "

:unamused:

If you’re using Crossover, it’s definitely a must. codeweavers.com/products/cr … quirements

The issue is that non-Intel hardware adds another layer of emulation for whatever is providing your Windows layer. That’s a very big technical lift for a small niche within a niche. It’s also a big performance hit for what are typically not-very-beefy machines to begin with.

Katherine

I am new to Scrivener and to the Forums. Obviously late to this conversation.

I walked through all the steps to install Scrivener for Windows on my Pixelbook Go Chromebook. It went smoothly. I also installed Windows Explorer 8 as suggested. I find myself at an impasse trying to make contact with the license server. At this point I am not sure what I am going to do next. Curious if there are any suggestions.

Dana

CrossOver will allow you to run your Windows version of Scrivener on Chromebook. However, it’s currently badly supported by the developer, and there are no reports of users accessing Scrivener on Chromebook this way. It’s theoretically possible though.

Brand new, but I resolved this problem by following OP’s directions. When I came to the impasse you encountered, I went back into the “Manage” section and installed the component titled .NET Framework 4.5 and, after a lengthy installation process, it successfully linked the activation for my license. I hope this helps.

I’ve also managed this but with some differences that I thought I’d post here in case it’s of use to anyone trying the same.

Firstly, the installation seemed to stall – I left it running for several hours, then cancelled and restarted, same problem. I cancelled again but this time selected “Try again” and it then completed within 30 minutes.

Once I had it installed, these are the main differences in the experience:

• Scrivener connected ok with the server and authenticated my licence without a problem.
  • I didn’t have to install a new Google Drive – when I tried it just took me to the existing one.
  • I didn’t have to install Internet Explorer, which made me happy :slight_smile:

The rest worked fine and I can now use Scrivener 1.9 on my Pixelbook. Incidentally, I tried installing the latest beta version and it seemed to install but it wouldn’t run and just hung.

Finally, I wanted to say a massive thank you to Harrington for the comprehensive instructions; your post saved me such a lot of time and frustration! It has still taken me the best part of a day to get it all sorted, but sorted it is and I can now take my chromebook out and get writing! Thank you.

Version 20 of Crossover has problems with Text-to-Speech which causes it to abort. See:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63648

HTH

Mark

p.s. Something else that was not obvious and stumped me for a few minutes – to install CrossOver, you have to enable Linux on your Chromebook. This is done under Settings and, if it is supported on your Chromebook, is usually the option immediately before Advanced. Once Linux is set up, you can install CrossOver.
btw, has anybody successfully upgraded to Debian 10? I tried, lost the lot and had to start again…

Thanks Mark, that worked a treat and I’m now using the latest beta :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,
We are now over three years later, and I wanted to know whether :
1- you were still all successfully using Scrivener on your Chromebooks via CrossOver?
2- there were any new developments which made the installation easier / quicker / less circumvoluted?
3- the accented characters were now accepted, as I am French and here a novel without accents, would be like a meal without wine :wink: !
Thank you for your answers :slight_smile: