Grammarly integration

I’m new to writing in Scrivener, having previously just used Word, but am converted! The icing on the cake would be better grammar checking, such as Grammarly integration. I find this tool in Word brilliant, not only checking your text, but also to get me thinking about the structure and wording I use. At the moment there seems no easy way to do this with the text I write in Scrivener, other than copy and pasting back and forwards to word, or compiling the text and running the two side-by-side which is not very practical.

The current version integrates with most Mac applications, including Scrivener.

1 Like

Hello Dave,

I’m afraid Grammarly can’t be integrated with Scrivener as it produced by a different company from Scrivener. It would require the people behind Grammarly to build a plugin, and I’m not sure if it is even technically possible.

I should have said, I am using the Windows version. Although I have Grammarly installed, it doesn’t seem to integrate with Scrivener.

Shame. I will have to see if I can suggest Scrivener to Grammarly!

The official recommendation is to use File > Sync > Sync to External folder.

I’ll look into this. I’ve not seen anything on this feature in the guides or in the tutorial. Are there any help pages explaining the settings and how this works?

Yes. Search for “External folder” in the Scrivener Manual reached from the Help menu.

Found it! Thanks for the help.

The new Grammarly desktop application is working with my 64-bit Scrivener 3.1.1.0 installation; however, when I have my focus on Scrivener I occasionally have to press Alt-Tab to get the Grammarly widget to show up. Once it shows up, it seems to find and work on the text that is in the current interface window – so I can use Grammarly both in the editors as well as the inspector, etc.

1 Like

As I pointed out in another post Grammarly now works seamlessly with Scrivener.

1 Like

The Grammarly floating widget does not appear in Scrivener anymore. It worked fine about six weeks ago. In Grammarly, there is a list of blocked apps which cannot contain Scrivener. Moreover, Grammarly suggests to re-install Grammarly, which I’ve also done. Grammarly is working fine in other apps and web browsers. As far as I know, Scrivener is the only app where the widget does not appear.

I had the same problem, so, I contacted Grammarly and was told that currently, Grammarly doesn’t work with Scrivener.

This is their response: Unfortunately, Grammarly does not support Scrivener at this time due to certain compatibility issues. However, thank you for letting us know that it’s something you’d like to see. You can rest assured that I’ve forwarded your request to our product team so that they can take it into account when making development plans.

I contacted Grammarly also, I got almost the exact same answer as you did:

Unfortunately, Grammarly does not support Scrivener at this time. However, thank you for letting us know that it’s something you’d like to see. You can rest assured that I’ve forwarded your request to our product team so that they can take it into account when making development plans.

They did not tell me the cause, although I asked a follow-up question.

Perhaps someone from L&L could jump in and tell us what’s going on? Is it really a compatibility issue?

We didn’t break it and we can’t fix it. Nothing has changed from the Scrivener side of things.

Latest reply from Grammarly:

Due to incompatibility issues with Scrivener, we turned off Grammarly in this app.
Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a quick fix, but please rest assured that our team has been made aware of the issue and is working on a solution.

Hmm, still not convinced about the explanation. But what can we, the paying customers, do?

But, hey, Grammarly is working when writing this post :grinning:

1 Like

Update: They re-enabled the integration a couple of days ago. (OSX)

Can confirm. You’ll have to redownload the installer from their website as the automatic update doesn’t work. At least for me.

For me it started working when my computer sat idle for a couple of hours. It wasn’t even sleeping and I didn’t have to restart/reinstall anything. I came back to my story and there was the angry G.

Maybe one of the reasons they disabled it was that the app has issues to detect which editor has the focus when there are multiple in the main window. I have to close the copyholder every now and then because it gets stuck on that (“Dual Navigation” layout).

It just started to work again. I didn’t do anything.