Graphics in notecards

I’m been using the scrivener trial for about two weeks and love it. I don’t know if this is a bug, but when I drag and drop a graphic into the note card area on the Inspector, the graphic appears to be cropped to fit the window. Is there any way to control the size of the displayed graphic so that it doesn’t appear to be cropped?

Or is there a specific size of graphic to drag and drop so that it doesn’t display cropped?

It seems to me that the format is what is relevant, not necessarily the size. The Scrivener index cards and inspector need a widescreen format in order not to crop. If I have a graphic that is vertical and I don’t want it to be cropped, I add black on each side in order to have the correct format.
Marta

Though keep in mind the index card’s proportion and size can be readily changed, even dynamically so, depending upon your settings. For example you can have cards set up to automatically scale to the width of your editor, or change them to be more tall than wide. So if you’ve got stack of pictures that are mostly tall, you might consider adjusting the aspect ratio of your cards.

Hi Amber
This is only a universal fix? In other words, I can’t change the proportion on only a few, correct?
Most of my images are widescreen, but it would be great if changes could be made on specific cards.
Marta

Right, that’s universal (to the project). It would look a bit weird if each card was sized differently as you’d get gaps in the layout. Your trick of padding the odd images with black will be best if most are wider.

Changing the ratio affects all cards on the board, yes. One thing that will be changing though is that images on the corkboard should display by default in a 5x5 ratio, as a Polaroid look, and the image in the inspector card should always scale to fit in that 3x5 area with the background showing through on the sides or top and bottom as necessary. So this means in the inspector, if the ratio of the image is way off 3x5, you might get a fairly small image because it has to scale down so much, which is where padding might help.

Another option, although this is going to be more work, is if you want to make a special “synopsis” version of your image. Technically all cards, text and images alike, can use either a text or image synopsis. Imported images just also use a copy of the image for the synopsis, but you could drag in a different image onto the card in the inspector instead. Then that image would display in the inspector and on the corkboard, while the actual image document would remain unchanged.

Whoops, I didn’t explain my issue right. Let me try this screencap. In the Inspector on the right side, you have the index card and clicking on the index card or the up and down arrows next to it allows you to toggle between the index card at the top of the Inspector or a field where you can drag and drop a graphic file, such as a jpeg.

Doing so displays a graphic in that box, but there’s no way to control the size of the graphic when displayed.
ScreenShot014.jpg

Yes, I think that what Marta suggested is still sound advice. Since the edges are getting cropped off, if you want to see the entire thing then you need to add padding to the sides of it, using the colour of your choice, to make it so that the overall shape of the graphic, including the padding, is the right shape to fit into this rectangle. The aspect ratio should be 3:5 to match a standard index card. So if you increase the canvas size of the image in a program like Paint so that it is 3:5, it will fit into the frame. Either that or crop the original down yourself so that it is focussed on the most choice part of the image.

Maybe down the line we could look into some kind of drag-about to move the graphic within the frame area, or a way to resize like you can with graphics in the main editor. It is working as intended though; maybe not optimally for all cases.

I think it’s still a little off (though my comment above was incorrect, I see on looking it over, so I’ve fixed that)–the card in the inspector should be scaling the image so you do see the entire image, padding as necessary on the top and bottom or the sides. Right now it crops.

This is one of those “cart before the horse” moments, I think. Instead of, by default, scaling the picture so that all of it shows when the card is displayed, and offering a set of common alternative scaling strategies, such as “zoom” and “1:1” etc. through a context menu, you’re saying that the intention is that I fire up an image editor and create something that will fit for a specific aspect ratio by hand (but won’t any more if I decide to change the aspect ration of the cards)?? Or did I misunderstand?

I understand that you’re thinking of the index card as a viewport onto the image and not necessarily as a frame for the image. Clearly many users are going to want it to be something else–so why not help them? Do you find that people who use the index card for story boarding actually want it to work the way it’s currently implemented? I mean, you are scaling the image already; changing the card aspect ratio produces some interesting effects, but testing with a square picture shows that the 5x5 card does not show the entire image. How difficult would it be to keep the whole image visible regardless of the size of the card?

Okay, I think I see what you all mean now. I was using a bad example for my test which didn’t really make the cropping obvious. It is scaling, but not intelligently, and I can see how that would be worse with a graphic significantly off ratio.

The first part of that is the intention. Obviously we don’t want people to have to take everything into Paint or something to fix the ratio for it to stop cropping. That should be an optional step for those that want it. Some kind of scaling algorithm that makes it so the whole graphic is always in the frame would be best, with automatic padding as necessary using the preference background colour.

Well, my two cents, and I certainly hope I don’t sound rude, but I think it’s asking a bit too much for a writing program to be able to show every ratio for all images, they’re just reminders of what you are writing about, its not meant to be a photo book. That’s why I adjust my vertical images with black space–it’s not a big deal, at least for me. I’d rather Lee work on other features which are more critical to the writing process.

Perhaps it would be helpful if Lee or Jennifer can tell us what the ideal image size in pixels for it to show the photo uncropped. And does the resolution (DPI) matter, or is it automatically set it to screen resolution (I have my monitor set for 96 DPI, and they look pretty good)

Marta

That’s exactly what I could use, actually. In the meantime, I pulled the graphic into Paint and stuck a black frame around the picture, and that helped a lot. Sort of a kludge until I can get Photoshop running, but for now, a workable fix. :slight_smile: Thanks for all your help, everyone. The more I mess with Scrivener, the more I love it for the structuring tool I needed between concept and first draft.

It’s not the pixel size that matters, it’s the ratio. You can resize your inspector or your index cards to change the pixels and the images should just scale with that. What defines the cropping is the ratio, but as I said, this isn’t working properly at the moment in the inspector. The inspector index card ratio is 3x5 and it should always show your whole image, which means your ideal ratio to see the entire image in the inspector is 3x5, and you won’t get padding on either side of it; something close, say 4x5, and you’ll get the image scaled down a bit with some padding (just the background color, which will be an option for you to set in Appearance) showing on the sides. At the moment, the inspector isn’t doing that properly, but given that’s how it will work it’s probably not worth spending a lot of time messing around with your images just yet.

Meanwhile, on the cards in the corkboard, photos should be showing at a 5x5 ratio, looking like Polaroids rather than index cards, and so this will do some scaling and cropping. You can change the ratio of all the cards on the board, but photos will only go up from 5x5, not smaller; this will, however, allow you to adjust what’s visible in the card to get, say, a 7x5 ratio if you really want it.

Ultimately, as Ioa said, it’d be nice to have some additional options for letting the user move the picture around to adjust what’s shown, but Lee’s got enough else on his plate at the moment that even if this is possible using the tools he’s working with, it’s not going to be coming for a while yet.