Has Windows Version 3 Been Scrapped?

Sensible not to offer a Windows version? There’s tons of software out there that runs on Mac and Windows and even Linux. You can even build apps from one set of code and publish to different platforms. Then you write once, run everywhere with some tweaks.

Subscriptions make sense to have software as a service to keep development money flowing.

The relevant thread is pinned to the top of the beta forum, making it more accessible than this one.

Katherine

I do go there because I have trained myself that is where the information is. I see bug updates, which I have been fortunate enough not to experience, while working on beta.

Aside from that, I come here because it’s always in the “Active Topics” list and I think maybe, just maybe, there may be a tad bit more information. As usual, all I see is someone getting dogpiled.

I guess you’re right, Katherine, this thread obviously isn’t the place for updates, but I’ll probably keep checking anyway. I’ll just continue to remain quiet, as usual and watch the unfortunate souls who don’t know any better.

When Windows Scrivener 3 launches, the information is likely to be hard to miss. We won’t be shy about telling people.

If you were to sign up for our (very low volume) newsletter, though, you’d be among the first to know. Scroll down to the bottom of the home page: literatureandlatte.com/

Katherine

How do you download the Beta version of Scrivener 3 for Windows?

I’m considering purchasing Scrivener for Windows. But would like to try out the new features so I can get a feel of what Scrivener 3 is likely to be like. Thanks in advance. =)

You can download from Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)

They have 32bit and 64bit versions. If you would like a HiDPI version of RC10, scroll on down and there are options for that as well!

I think Bradley’s point has, well, a point. I didn’t come to the L&L forum for years. Instead, as a customer of v1 for Windows, I would simply drop by the website from time to time to see if there was any information about v3. If I didn’t see anything on the front page, then I would head over to the blog to see if there was something there. There’s not. Not for Scrivener v3. Some might (incorrectly) assume v3 is dead and move on. What’s the harm in an occasional blog post stating v3 work is still on-going, that you’re on beta v3.xxx and bugs are getting squashed? That shows that, not only work is being done on Scrivener v3 for Windows, but that you’re excited about it enough to inform your customers and potential customers (instead of expecting them to not only go to the forum, but to filter through it to find exactly where to find the information they are looking for). Not everyone is tech-savvy enough to look in a beta thread for information. For some, the thought of a beta turns them off.

[b]

I’m still unsure whether to purchase Scrivener V1 for Windows. And the mention of “long-standing bugs” is surely a valid concern? Especially when the fate of Scrivener V3 is uncertain.

I think this best sums things up >>

[b]

I know people don’t always word their frustrations in the best way. But surely the confusion & concern surrounding the development & unknown release date for Scrivener 3 is understandable? Especially when potential customers are trying to assess the current state of the software & community support available before they commit to a purchase?

I believe my point was that some people, previous or potential customers, may not come to the forum … at all. So, if there is no blog update on the development of v3, then L&L may potentially lose these customers (and not gain the new, potential ones). So, despite how toxic (sadly) some of this can get, it seems to me it would be in L&L’s best interest to inform people, outside the forum, somewhat as to the status of development.

L&L has concluded that the downsides of frequent updates outweigh the benefits. Arguing in the forum about whether that was a good decision actually tends to prove the point.

When Windows Scrivener 3 is ready to release, we’ll release it. In the meantime, the beta forum remains the best source of information about progress, outstanding bugs, and so on.

Katherine

Surely a better question is whether posting updates on the status of the software is in the customers’ & potential customers’ best interest?

No.
Since when should business decisions be made based on “the customers’ best interest”? Surely it should be based on the company’s best interest? Sometimes these two coincide, but most of the time they don’t.

That may or may not be, but it wasn’t the question I asked.

And here I am going to say categorically, “it depends.”

We consumers like to think we are rational creatures.

We are not.

We are emotional, illogical creatures who like to rationalize our behavior so we can preserve our self-wrought illusions of being intelligent, objective people. This is usually a load of fiction.

There are DEFINITELY cases where too much information actually is harmful. Counter-intuitive, but given we are emotional lizard brains being lied to by rationalizing ape brains, we can’t really trust our intuition as much as we like to think we can.

True. And I completely agree. We do live in a primarily capitalistic society after all. However, surely it is not in the company’s best interest to draw attention to their disregard for customer concerns? Any savvy business knows that the true “Company First, Customer Second” motto should be hidden from the public to maintain the marketing-friendly “Customer First” illusion.

I apologize for not addressing the question you asked. But you ignored my previous questions, so I assumed that we didn’t have to respond to posts directly…

Couldn’t agree more.

So, as a ‘Literature & Latte’ supporter, I assume you’re hoping that the emotional reaction triggered when concerns about Scrivener 3 & Scrivener 1 are ignored & trivialized will spur potential customers on to enthusiastically purchase the software?

Perhaps.

But if less is more, surely posting simple statements about the status of the software front & center would be preferable to having interested customers wade through dozens of unfocused forums to seek out that information?

In my case, I’m very happy with Scrivener 1 so far & with the Scrivener 3 Beta.
It seems like an awesome piece of software!

I’m just very concerned about the forementioned “long-standing bugs that could be VERY detrimental to a person’s workflow” supposedly present in Scrivener 1 & the uncertain release date of Scrivener 3.

I have very nearly purchased the software on a number of occasions, but reading through certain forum responses keeps dissuading me for some reason. Not sure why. Must be that pesky lizard brain!

Hi folks,

Just a polite reminder: this is a community forum with many people and many different opinions but one rule: be polite. That means to us and to each other. I know many people here have been respecting that rule even when disagreeing, so if you were already being polite, carry on - I don’t mean you. If you’re not sure whether I mean you or not, well… :slight_smile:

This rule applies to everyone, whether you agree with the way we do things or don’t. People are welcome to express concern, ask about the status of the Windows version, and even question our approach, and shouldn’t be made to feel unwelcome for doing so. By the same token, those expressing concern or making enquiries need to remember that we’re all humans doing the best we can. You might not think that’s good enough, but if you really feel you need to tell us that, please try to find a respectful way of doing so.

No matter what your opinion, before posting, please try to ask yourself whether what you intend to say is constructive and adds to the community.

As to some of the points raised:

• “Has Windows Version 3 Been Scrapped?”
    No, it’s in active development, as can be seen by the regular beta updates. We’d tell you if we were scrapping it - but we certainly are not. It will be released when it’s ready, and hopefully it nearly is (but I don’t have any dates right now).

• Why don’t we post regular updates on the blog saying that it’s still in active development?
    Because that’s not really news and in our experience just aggravates the situation: every time we mention that we’re still developing the Windows version, or even mention it publicly at all, there is a very vocal minority that accuses us of being liars, not caring about Windows, being incompetent, and so on. And if we try to explain the problems that have cropped up and the reasons for the delays, we are accused of making excuses that don’t wash. And of course when we don’t post, people think we’re being deliberately uncommunicative - so we can’t win either way! Obviously, we’re no happier than anyone else that the Windows version is over two years later than we intended, and we understand users’ frustration, but there’s only so often you can get shouted at, even virtually, before you decide the best policy is just to get on with it and say no more until it’s ready. (I’m not saying anyone here has been shouting at us, by the way, and nor am I equating asking a reasonable question such as “Why don’t you post more updates?” with shouting at us.) We’re not some big slick corporation, but just a small indie company with a handful of staff. If users decide they don’t want to wait or dislike the way we do things, and so choose to use different software, they are of course welcome to do so, as much as we are sorry to see them go.

Anyway, let’s try to remember that nearly everyone posting here is enthusiastic about Scrivener in some way, otherwise they wouldn’t take the time to post - even when they’re expressing frustration. And we really appreciate your enthusiasm! We’re sorry we’ve kept Windows users waiting for Scrivener 3, and are grateful to our beta users and those patiently waiting or looking forward to its release.

So, please feel free to continue the discussion and disagree - with us or with anyone else - but let’s do so in the manner of a bunch of amiable ancient greeks sitting around a large table with a goblet of wine. Or something.

All the best,
Keith

Yes! This is exactly the sort of update / response I’ve been seeking! Thank you so so much!

Please post this on the front page of your website so that all potential customers can see it!
This update / response revives my excitement for Scrivener 3 & has convinced me to purchase Scrivener 1!

So please, I implore you, make it easy for all potential customers to find this update, so that this wonderful software gets the wider, more excited audience it deserves!

My fear is that too many people lose that excitement when they have to sift through forums to find this encouraging news. I want Scrivener 3 to be a success so that your small company will get the funding needed for continued development.

So, the only options are “no updates at all” or “frequent updates”? Please note that my original comment did not mention “frequent” in it. A small update on progress, from time to time, in my opinion, is better than none given that some customers and some potential customers may never come to the forum at all and, if they do, may not weed through all that is here to find the information they need. So, perhaps an in-between position would be best?

My opinion is my opinion. As an opinion, I don’t think I really need solid data to present it. By presenting it, I can hear from others, especially those that disagree, and learn from their responses, right? However, having said that, I am a potential customer of v3 when released. I, initially, did not go to the forum and, for a time, thought that v3 was dead. Unlike some people I know, I do use forums for other software, so I did eventually come here and learned of v3’s development. But I do know people who don’t use or don’t like to browse through forums. Thus, it seems to make sense (at least to me) that it would be in the best interest of a company to have at least some moderately up-to-date information on the status of their currently in-development software.

I don’t really need to know the inner workings of L&L to determine these types of things. I’ve both worked for and have run companies that had to deal with customers at various levels. Communication is normally recommended to keep and attract customers. And since not all customers, potential or otherwise, use forums, then having an alternate means of communication is a good idea. To not use it, at all, because some are vocal and negative, is a missed opportunity (again, in my opinion).

This post, just a few upthread from yours, is from the creator of Scrivener:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/has-windows-version-3-been-scrapped/51167/139

Your opinion is your opinion. You are welcome to share it – politely! – but continuing to do so after the official L&L position has been made clear doesn’t really add anything to the conversation.

Katherine

Surely sharing this encouraging Scrivener 3 update with new customers right on the Product page would result in fewer people sifting through unfocused forums & becoming dissuaded from their purchase?

Keith, I want to thank you for the best, and most polite, comment from L&L that I’ve heard in this, or any thread. Of course, I have to point out a major flaw in your statement. The words

is key here. It implies you’re basing your decisions not to communicate because of the small number of people who come to this forum and want to express what a rotten company L&L is because of blah, blah, blah. I tune them out, why can’t you?

The very first words regarding the last blog update re: Windows 3 begins

A new update of any kind is even longer overdue.

Yes, you’ll get flack. Yes, you’ll get called names. Yes, you’ll take a lot of heat. But why base your actions on the the very vocal minority who feel the need to come here and express their frustration in an uncivilized way? Reach out to the quiet majority who have a genuine interest in what is going on. They may not have a right to know, that’s your decision, but as consumers it should be no surprise that they want to know. That’s where I think you’re missing the boat.

Thank you