Has Windows Version 3 Been Scrapped?

I feel like we’re really close to v3 being completed. Fingers crossed, anyway. I’ll happily keep using the beta until that day comes. :slight_smile:

Oh but it was! You could argue whether or not it was a “promise”, but I distinctly remember the announcement “Coming in 2018”. Those words about Scrivener 3.0 for Windows were written on this website.

On a serious note: I really would like to congratulate all the people who stayed around all these years despite the fact that they were unable to use Scrivener and write their books. Admirable! I would have buggered off a long time ago to find my match.

Doesn’t Win Scriv 1.9 work anymore? Did it stop working all those years ago? That’s news to me. :open_mouth:

And I suppose you have proof of that? I don’t recall seeing anything that set a hard date and I’ve looked.

Maybe not quire what you’re looking for, but look here: Scrivener 3 Windows Release - #2 by Argoed

Before releasing v.3 for Mac. September 2016.

That’s not quite a promise, of course. Still. It was four years ago, and the Windows v.3 was expected ~half a year after the Mac v.3

Thing is, you need to dig really deep to find anything, because this has been going on for several years. :slight_smile:

People have been complaining about the lack of communication for two years now. That’s because there was an understanding that Windows v.3 was expected to be released in 2018 (most probably because of the “likely to be a good six months” after the Mac release). I can’t remember if I participated in any discussions to try and dig out more, it was so long ago. :slight_smile:

Then there was also this: literatureandlatte.com/blog … rses-mouth

Sounds like a promise to you? :slight_smile:

And there was this: literatureandlatte.com/blog … gic-number (notice it’s from year 2017).

Seeing how “highly likely” argument has been enough of a reason for international economic sanctions, I’d say “likely” sounds like a promise. :slight_smile: However, in this particular case there have been several “likely” estimates, which means they don’t know themselves. which is probably okay. Who knows what might have come up, what difficulties. Porting to another platform is not an easy feat.

Still, people are frustrated, and it’s understandable. It’s been going on for several years, with all these - yes - promises. Myself, I’ve tried beta and quite liked the look and feel. However, it expiring every two weeks or so without any obvious way to at least fetch settings to reinstall, made me uninstall for good after the third iteration.

Back in 2018 I left for Typora and Writer+ (because Linux & Android). And when the quarantines & lockdowns started, I decided to go look at what was the state of affairs in the Scrivener kingdom. :slight_smile: Imagine the laughing fit I had, when I saw that no v.3 was still released, no estimates given, and people were still complaining about it. :slight_smile:

Whoosh!

Not so much “whoosh” as amplification.

If you feel the forum rule (“Be polite.”) is being violated, there’s a “report” button on every post.

If you find the “tone” of a particular thread to be unpleasant, but still within the limits of politeness, you should feel free to ignore it or, even better, to start your own thread. Be the culture you want to see in the forum.

Katherine

I’m new here. I used Scrivener waaaaay back on a little Windows based Toshiba when Scrivener was just in diapers. But enough back story, which was only a lead-in to say that I really liked that program for my writing and was hoping it would be a viable program to return to.

Flash forward to today. After looking at the L&L website I was confused as to the release date of Scrivener 3. So I found myself at this forum and thread and was truly amazed at how unprofessionally this company portrays itself. Semantics plays a part in the argument over whether L&L actually says there’s going to be a Scrivener 3, or if it’s only implied. I can tell you it makes no difference because the consumer (myself) is led to believe there WILL be a release. But therein lies the confusion because it’s been on the back burner for years…YEARS…and that undermines confidence not only in the actual release, but in the capabilities of the Dev Team. The only impression I get is that L&L markets itself through scheming and shady advertising. And if this is how the topic is handled, through opinionated and chaotic forums, then I can only assume that any attempts at finding assistance for true and related technical concerns will not be easily accessed.

Bottom line- Unless someone can assure me that the customer experience (which is valued so highly by myself and other consumers) isn’t going to be a nightmare, and that L&L will act ethically and with integrity by giving truthful updates to it’s customer base, then I will pass on Scrivener. It’s not so much about the product as the customer service and experience. Please wake up L&L and give me some hope.

The vast majority of posters in this thread (or in the forums generally) are not Literature & Latte employees and speak only for themselves.

The official position of Literature & Latte regarding Windows Scrivener 3 is as follows:

• We know it’s very late. We apologize.

• Because we have missed release dates in the past, there will be no further proposed release date announcements. Regular status updates can be found in the Windows Scrivener 3 beta forum. Many people have been using the beta for important work for some time now. Anyone who wishes can download it and evaluate its status for themselves.

• Rest assured, however, that active development of Windows Scrivener 3 is ongoing, and we intend to release it as soon as we believe we can.

Does that clarify things?

Katherine

Hello Hyker,

Windows Scriv customer here.

While there are most definitely a few opinionated and chaotic threads, if you spend a little time looking through the forums, I think you’ll find they–mostly–consist of rather mundane* posts by users and L&L staff helping other users with technical and usage questions.

*That is, unless you’re like me, and you enjoy reading that sort of thing for relaxation. :blush:

Also, I’ve been using the Windows v3 beta quite happily as my full-time writing since late last year. It is most definitely being actively developed.

Best,
Jim

Well. You are mixing me up with someone else, the reference made by Katherine to a member with 28 posts was not to me. I also did not suggest banning anyone. As for the attack in your second paragraph, I’m taken aback. It’s completely unfounded. I have tried to help out here when I can. As for your pejoratives … “Bullshit … Campfire buddies … existing solely to bitch … bitch bitch bitch …” Interesting refutation of my point that some people here are incredibly rude. And I’ll say it again, you are mistaken if you think I am new, or have only 28 posts. That’s quite easy to check.

I hate to resort to the report button. Used it for the first and only time recently, it hasn’t made a difference. I’m disappointed that your advice about culture was delivered to me, not to the post by Astaff quoting me.

It was delivered to the forum as a whole. That’s precisely why I didn’t quote anyone in particular. You are welcome to examine your own posts and decide whether or not they contribute to a helpful, friendly tone.

Katherine

Thanks for the clarification, Katherine.

Right, not a promise.

They could just as easily be referencing prior estimates, not making a promise. The phrasing is too ambiguous to say for certain. It could have been something like “We’re definitely going to have this out by the end of Q2 2019”, but that’s conjecture without the full quote. “By the end of Q2 2019” could have been prefaced with something like “we’re aiming to release it” and the statement becomes “We’re aiming to release it by the end of Q2 2019” which is far from a promise. As with all things wording is key. Without the full quote, we can’t say for certain. So, no I’m not counting that as a promise.

Most likely is NOT a promise. If you say you’ll mostly likely stopping at the grocery store after work, you aren’t making a firm commitment. You probably will go, but there’s a chance you won’t.

I understand people’s frustration, but it’s silly to put words in Literature and Latte’s mouth. They’ve released estimates, nothing more.

It’s a situation I understand all too well. I worked retail for a number of years, and I would frequently encounter customers asking me when a certain item would be back in stock. I would tell them that we had a truck on , and that they could call and see if the merchandise had come back in. I didn’t have a way of checking what was on the truck as the manifest didn’t usually drop into the computer until just before the trailer had arrived and even then it was dozens and sometimes over a hundred pages long and filled with very generic product descriptions that weren’t usually very helpful. Occasionally, I would have a customer who did not bother to call and would instead come in, find the shelf empty, and accuse me of lying when the item I had 'promised would arrive ’ was not in stock. See in parallels there?

I, for one, am perfectly happy using the very stable beta version which is available right now for download. And even then, 1.9.X is perfectly functional and still a very capable piece of software. I could easily switch back to the older version and it would be more than adequate for whatever project I threw at it.

Could Literature and Latte done a better job at communicating? Most definitely, but so much of what they’ve said as been completely misrepresented or been blown out of proportion. Is it frustrating the Scrivener 3 development has taken so long? Certainly, but might I suggest instead of complaining over and over and over again, people do something a little more constructive with their time? Like, say, I don’t know, doing a little writing? It’s become pretty obvious by now that no amount of complaining is going to push Scrivener out any faster.

There have been several formal complaints about this and related threads, and several users have been formally warned. At this time, I am not redacting posts or muting people, but those are the next steps.

I would advise all participants in this thread to move on to other topics. Or maybe go write something.

Katherine

The only proof is my distinct memory of “Coming in 2018” and the excited anticipation of getting version 3.0.

However, I do have supporting evidence. In June of 2018, I wrote to LL asking when we could expect Scrivener 3.0 for Windows. On June 24th, 2018 I received an email from [Personal information removed] which said: “I just know what I’ve been told and that it’s coming sometime this year. I wish I could be more specific.”

So while noncommittal about an actual date and not really a “promise”, this is pretty good evidence that someone at LL thought 3.0 was going to be released in 2018 and shared this information with the public. It was shared on the website as “Coming in 2018” and shared with me specifically by rebeca.

Agreed this is frustrating, but primarily from the vantage point of its ‘unnaturalness.’ Platform transitions typically do not take this long, and this has been VERY long since its first declaration. It has that ‘something ain’t right’ feel about it and it continues to propagate every time there’s another commitment to non-commitment.

Now that being said, I’m perfectly fine with my present version. It works and I’m fairly comfortable with its basic functions. I have plenty of time to become familiar with its more extensive features as my document continues to evolve. But I would be remiss not to add that it is most discomforting continuing to find more of the same every time I look for updates.

In addition, I’d ordered and received the Take Control of Scrivener 3 book- which has nothing to do with Windows 3, good lord, but was assured this book would serve my purposes and be updated with the new version free of charge with version 3 when it was made available.

Short version? This is not a typical development cycle. Not close.

As a position, definitely, but it isn’t any different than I would have imagined. Where and when was this policy declaration published?