Hello from GSWaddell

Hello everyone,

I’m brand new to this forum and to Scrivener. I came across this software reading a writer’s blog site. This writer mentioned it so I thought I’d check it out. I have not yet installed it, but from the description, it sounds like it works the way I work when I’m writing something. So, I’m looking forward to playing around with it.

I just wanted to say “hey” to everyone on this forum and also to ask, since this Windows version is a beta, "If/when I run into a bug, where is the proper place to report it?

Welcome to the group! One of the first things I recommend doing is setting aside an hour or so to work through the tutorial. There are a few aspects of Scrivener which are unusual, and grasping how it all fits together will make the whole experience much better.

Thanks for being willing to help test. To post and search for known bugs, use the Windows Bug Hunt sub-forum, right next to this one. You’ll also find the latest builds in this forum as well, posted as announcements at the top.

Hi! And if you do break something, be sure to list how you got it to crash/bug/whatever. It’ll help them fix whatever’s wrong.

Just completed the tutorial and I must say, this is a very nice piece of work. Works the way I work. I’m looking forward to digging into my first book.

What if I find something that’s not really a bug as much as something that didn’t work the way I expected it to? For example, I would expect the File…Close Project menu option to close just this project and leave Scrivener open (so I could start a new project, for example). But instead it closes everything down. So there is no difference between Close Project and Close All.

Would something like that go into “bugs”?

If it is your last item open, then yeah closing the project will also close the program—this is how most Windows programs work. If you close the last Word document you have open, for instance, then there is no Word left. If you had had two Scrivener projects open, then using Close would not have closed the second one, only the project you closed.

But in MS Word, you have the option to close all word documents but keep the Word program open. Just go to the Office Button…Close and you will see what I mean. That way you can close one document and open another w/out having to re-initiate the program.

In other words, it appears that Scrivener does not have a container for projects, but rather that each instance of the program IS a project. I suppose that if this is the way it was intended, then it’s not a bug.