help with exporting footnotes

I’m new to Scrivener and up till now have been using Word 2011. I find Scrivener useful for the creative aspect of writing my dissertation, but for formatting reasons (which are very strict at our uni) I need to export the final document back into Word. However, no matter what I seem to try, my footnotes export as endnotes and Word can’t convert them back into footnotes. It’s taken me two hours to re-format two chapters, and I have six chapters to go and I’m on a tight deadline. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!! :slight_smile:

It should be perfectly possible to convert footnotes to endnotes and back in Word – I used to do it all the time, though in an earlier version. Have a look at this web page:

kb.iu.edu/data/ahko.html

Cheers, Martin.

Hi,

When going to Word, be sure to export using the RTF format - this will ensure that all footnotes are “real” footnotes. Our .docx exporter is the standard OS X one, the same one provided with TextEdit, and doesn’t support “real” footnotes (there should have been a warning message about this if that’s the format you chose). So, export to RTF, and then open the RTF document in Word.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Martin - The problem is that when I get everything into Word, the footnotes option under the View pane is greyed out. It won’t let me convert that way, otherwise that’s how I usually do it to. Since this has only been an issue since exporting from Scrivener, I assumed it was a Scrivener to Word problem and not just a Word problem.

Keith - Thanks, I’ve tried it both ways. With one method (RTFD) I lose all formatting but the footnotes get exported too (as endnotes, but then I lose the rest of my formatting - like spacing for margins and quotes, etc., but this may be a smaller issue than the footnotes!). With the other I can’t convert the footnotes at all but I keep some of the formatting. I’ll keep playing around with it though. Thank you again!

Hi,

I was saying to use RTF, not RTFD. There’s a big difference. RTF definitely takes proper footnotes across to Word, and all other formatting will go across fine too. If you’re having problems with RTF, please can you elaborate on the exact issues, what’s not appearing as it should in Microsoft Word?

All the best,
Keith

I used RTFD because I read somewhere in the help files that that would be better if exporting to Word, but then I tried RTF and it didn’t work. However, I just tried it again and it did work, so I must have been doing something wrong the first couple times I tried. Not sure what, because I thought I just replicated the process, but the document looks exactly as it should be now!

Thanks!!

Great, glad that helped! (RTFD is better for Pages, which has poor RTF support, but RTF is better for everything else, so that might be what you read in the manual.)

All the best,
Keith