Highlight active document in binder

Dear Keith et al. Just back using Scrivener again after a long break. Somehtign that bugged me last time - and still does is the following:

I use a combination of Binder to organsie my sections/subsections and then either document or scrivenings view for text input.

I regularly flick between different parts of the text. If I use the binder to do this, the relevent text document is displayed and the Binder item is highlighted (it goes form blue to grey as I shift focus to the text for editing).

BUT! If I use the arrow keys to navigate between previously viewed documents, the Binder does not update its (grey) highlighting - and therefore at a glance I can easily forget which document/subdocument I am editing - and in fact where I am in the overall project structure.

The same is true in Scrivenings view: If I select a subsection further down in the text in the edit pane, the Binder does not update to show which subdocument I am now editing.

I find this really confusing to my workflow - so a solution would be great!

Is this a design decision, or a bug? It seems somewhat related to the BInder highlighting error I observed after moving and undoing a drag and drop in the bInder (reported here: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/drag-and-drop-and-undo-in-binder/14864/1)

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

This is very much a design decision - see our FAQ answer here:

literatureandlatte.com/wiki/ … ly_editing

However, the solution is just to use Reveal in Binder (opt-cmd-R).

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith. Thanks for the response. I’d not realised that there was Knowledge Base article on this - sorry!

It does sound more complex than I had envisioned. However, would you entertain the use of a Preference where you can make “Reveal in Binder” happen every time the user navigates to a different document?

I would advocate expanding collapsed threads to the minimum necessary to be able to view the document, then collapsing them back to where they were upon navigating elsewhere. Perhaps it’s not that easy to program this functionality in…has anyone else requested something similar?

I still think it is an amazing product - I wish all software was such a joy to use!

Cheers, Matt

Yes, I have, but the question was pooh-poohed, despite the obvious fact that in a split view, 50% of the time the highlighting in the binder has no meaning whatever, other than “one of the documents you are editing”. Scrivener has hundreds of preferences and things to fiddle with, but if you’re working with a split view, there’s no way of seeing at a glance where the document you’re editing is, in relation to the whole.

I don’t think “pooh-poohed” is an appropriate expression to use in relation to the enormous amount of detailed support and explanation that Keith and the other members of the very small Scrivener team give on a regular basis to any and all users with an exemplary amount of patience.

If you are unwilling or unable to try to understand the explanations and reasoning you are given, then maybe Scrivener is not the software for you.

Mark

Amen.

Several threads seem to incorporate this same attitude: “Scrivener does not work as I think it should, or as other software I’ve used does; the logical and perhaps necessary course is for the developer to re-think, re-organize, and re-program it to make me happy.”

Please, people, calm down. Grow up. Neither Scrivener nor any other feature of your world is going to function precisely as you now think you want it to.

Adapt. Adjust. Learn.

ps

I agree with Mark and PJS.

I’ve said this before on other threads, but I’ll say it again here: it seems to me that the Feedback and Wish List threads are at times a perfect illustration of what psychologists call the “False Consensus Effect”. This is basically an overestimation of how much other people would agree with what we think. It leads to statements along the lines of “most people would want this / most people work this way”, etc. As studies have shown, this is usually very far from the truth. I believe these forums have something like 5,000 members, but it is often only about two or three who seem to “campaign” for a certain feature or way of doing things. One can draw one’s own conclusions.

On the question of adaptation – I am red-green colour blind. That means that all those LEDs that change colour to tell you when something is ready / charged / dangerous or whatever are completely useless for me. I cannot detect any change. It would be great if manufacturers could use indicators that changed from red to blue, or something like that, but it will never happen. Not for 10% of the male population. So I adapt, where I can. (I once bought a lilac shirt without realising it, and I had a pair of brown trousers for years that turned out to be green. Dying your hair green also had no shock value for me at all.)

Cheers, Martin.

Edit: I see I mis-remembered – there are nearly TEN thousand members of the forum.

For the record, this is where we “pooh-poohed” nevdev:

I think Ioa’s explanation hits the nail on the head: