Hitting 'Enter' twice [brings up a character, scene heading, etc., selection menu]

I don’t know if this is a bug or a keyboard shortcut that I have activated by accident and don’t know how to turn off, but on the page I am working on, every time I hit the enter key twice to insert a line break - this box comes up instead.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 105113

This is making it impossible to insert a line break. How to I get rid of this and permanently turn it off?

Strangely, it only seems to happen on this one document. It doesn’t happen in other projects, and it doesn’t happen on other documents in the same project!

Thanks
Sean

Looks like you’ve accidentally set this file to scriptwriting mode.

The shortcut to toggle this on of off on a Mac is Command-8, so I guess it’s Control-8 on Windows. Or see “Scriptwriting” in the Format menu.

1 Like

Yes, that seems to be it. Control-8 worked on Windows.

Thank you.

1 Like

BTW : return-return is not a line break. (Alt+Return is.)

Show Invisibles turned off

If that is something you do a lot (as in, pretty much always — this being your desired overall formatting), it would be better advised to use “space after” for your paragraphs.

If you set the space after to the size of your font, you’ll get exactly one line worth of space between your paragraphs. Visually identical to what you get by hitting return twice.

If you want all of your paragraphs to have space between them, set this in the default formatting. — So that you don’t have to tweak it every time.
If this is something you do often but not systematically, create a style for those space-after paragraphs.

There are a couple reasons why using double returns is best avoided.
I’ll state one:
Should you compile to an e-book, all those blank lines (that are technically paragraphs) would disappear.

Yes, I’m talking about a blank line, as you would have for a scene break - not a poetry style line break.

I only want it to happen if I hit return twice though. I don’t want to change the default for new paragraphs. I want most new paragraphs to start immediately below the previous one.

What format do you plan to compile to ?

I usually compile to Word. This particular project is personal notes that will remain in Scrivener.

I meant, ultimately.
Word is not a publishable format.

Of course, if it is only notes you’ll keep to yourself, no need to bother with any of this…

I am not intending to self-publish.