How to change destination for back up

A search on this subject yield a best result from 2011.

My operating system is windows 10.

I’m currently working off my C drive on a desk top, and back up to a 1000 TB external hard drive connected USB. I’d like to auto back up to my onedrive account, how do I do that?

Hello BamaRider.

Are you using Scrivener 1 or Scrivener 3 on your PC?

For Scrivener 1, please go to Tools > Options > Backup. There, you can click the Choose… button and navigate to your OneDrive folder on your PC. You’ll likely need to also click either “Apply” or “OK” to confirm the change.

In Scrivener 3, the path is File > Options > Backup. Again, please click the Choose… button and then navigate to your OneDrive folder and then “Apply” that setting change.

Thanks. Helpful info.

I am using Scrivener 3, and I learned long ago in my 66 years the only dumb question is the one not asked, so let me ask this. On my new laptop do I need to download the Scrivener Software or will that happen when I click on the file on Onedrive?

I recommend downloading and installing Scrivener 3 directly onto your new laptop yourself.

Scrivener depends on many systems-level tools to function correctly, and I wouldn’t trust a cloud installation of the software to work as expected.

You can get the installer .exe file from our downloads webpage. Your PC will place the .exe file into its Downloads folder. You can double-click it and follow its prompts to install Scrivener to your PC’s hard drive.

1 Like

To the OP. I understand you are transferring to a new laptop?

As advised by Ruth, install Scrivener on your new Laptop.

I’m assuming you have the OneDrive application installed on your current laptop?

If so, and you are transferring the project to the new one, save the project to the OneDrive folder on the old laptop. Install OneDrive on the new one and log in with the same account.

Allow OneDrive to sync and you can open the project directly from the OneDrive folder. If your normal save location will be on a local folder, do a Save As to that location. Just make certain you keep track of what you are doing so you don’t open the wrong file later.

As mentioned above, set the backup location to OneDrive for ongoing backups.

What I want to do is work from both devices, but my primary will be the desktop, using my laptop when I’m traveling or wish to work outside on pretty weather days in my grove. But I’m intimidated working from files on 2 devices and the coordination involved. I fear backing up a old file over a new etc.

Don’t use Scrivener’s automatic backups to synchronize between devices. For that purpose, put the live project in a separate shared folder. Best practices for using Scrivener with cloud services can be found here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/cloud-syncing/using-scrivener-with-cloud-sync-services

1 Like

If you are only working between the two devices, you could use OneDrive, though Dropbox is preferred.

What I said earlier about having the OneDrive application on both devices applies as does saving to a folder within the OneDrive folder on your Finder.

If using OneDrive it is ESSENTIAL you turn off Files On Demand on both systems. That will totally screw your project if you leave it turned on.

Whichever cloud system you use, make certain you close the project on one device before opening it on the other and allow both to sync. A good tip is to set Scrivener to close after a period of inactivity, that way if you walk away from one system or leave home with a project open, it will close automatically, saving conflict. The link provided above has most of the goodies, though I don’t recall it mentioning Files On demand which is a new surprise MS dropped on us.

Specifically, you can use the feature, but NOT with any parent folder in which you are storing Scrivener projects. For those, right-click the folder in Explorer and ensure that “Always keep on this device” is checked.

Easiest to simply turn it off. While experienced users can manage as you suggest, for those less familiar it can be a minefield.

That depends on how much storage you have on your local device and how much is in your cloud account. It’s all too easy on devices with only 128 or 256 GB of primary storage to completely fill your partition and really mess up Windows.

And that was one of the major causes of support calls at Apple.

People purchasing the minimum storage option and expecting to store their life on the device.

Of course for some, that was all the piggy bank could fund, but then file management and adjustment of expectations are needed. Some were not able to do so.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say full local disks are a major cause of support queries for us. They do happen, but cloud-derived weirdness is MUCH more common.

That’s because AppleCare take care of the ‘full drive syndrome’ for you :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: