This should be a simple one.
I’m writing a short story with 3x scenes, which are comprised of beats. Scenes are folders, beats are text docs contained within the folders. Here’s the Binder structure:
– Beat 1
– Beat 2
– Beat 3
– Beat 4
– Beat 5
I’d like the story to compile as follows to .rtf:
So beats in a scene should be compiled with single returns between them, and there should be a “#” separator between scenes.
This all works, except that I can’t find a way to keep the text of the folders from printing, with that result the .rtf looks like this:
(extra blank line)
(extra blank line)
I’ve tried both a structure-based and non-structure-based approach, but can’t get either to work.
How do I get rid of the blank lines?
Here is a sample project, in which I’ve placed dummy text in the folders, so it’s transparent where the blank line is coming from. Compile Test-bak-2023-11-17T10-25.zip (118.5 KB)
You could insert the separator the way you want it in a doc in the binder and leave the functionality out of compile. (Quick fix off the top of my head. – I gave it a whole two seconds of thinking.)
Yup, that’s exactly what I did. Great minds think alike.
But…I was still wondering if there there was a way to handle it using Compile. My assumption is that there should be a way to do it, but I couldn’t figure it out.
This guide that I wrote a while back, on setting up a subscene structure may be of help. I haven’t tested it again, but as I recall it is meant to be flexible enough so that this method can be used only here or there, in containers or flat lists as you wish.
Your project clarified that I needed to add a “Separater between sections” for my Scene container items. After I did that, it worked–no more blank lines.
I’m not clear a) what the lack of a separator had to do with the extra blank line, and b) why a “between” separator was even needed, as the Scene containers never run concurrently.
But…it works. Now I know what to do, so thank you for that.
I tried to have a look at your sample project, but wasn’t sure what compile Format I was meant to be looking at (it had been left set to “Default”), and nothing custom in the project seemed to have assigned layouts. So I’m not sure exactly what was going on, but I’ll agree it does sound a little odd.
Glad you got it working at any rate!