How to create macOS Finder aliases that use Scrivener document links?

Is there a way to create macOS Finder aliases that use Scrivener document links?

A default macOS alias opens a Scrivener project. I want my aliases to open the project and display the specific document I linked to. The latter is the behavior I get if I click a Scrivener document link.

Unfortunately, my version of macOS (10.13 High Sierra) doesn’t seem to let me edit alias links by pasting in the document links Scrivener provides. Is there a workaround?

The Mac’s Alias is very specifically a file system tool, it can point to other files or folders, but that is it. It cannot be used to trigger a URL, which is what a Scrivener external link is (you can for example even paste it into the URL field of a hyperlink in Word and have it open the Scrivener file when you click on the link).

That aside, there is a way to store a URL as a file in Finder. The Mac has a special file type using the extension .inetloc, which is a type of thing you’ll get if you drag a hyperlink or web address into Finder from a tool that lets you do that. For example in Safari you can drag from the URL bar into Finder to create one. You can also drag hyperlinks out of some text editors to create them. These will work perfectly with Scrivener’s item URLs, I just tested it by pasting on into Apple Notes and then dragging the hyperlink out to Finder.

Thanks, @AmberV! As usual, you’re a gold mine of useful and actionable information. :+1:

Your workflow works in RTF-based apps, too. I tested Scrivener document links pasted into TextEdit and Scrivener.

The resulting .inetloc files have uninformative name (“x-scrivener-item:///Volumes/…”) which can’t be changed – the filenames IS the link. But I can alias the .inetloc file, then rename the alias so I know what it points to. I created a folder to house these .inetloc files out of sight.

Being able to click Finder aliases to open specific documents inside Scrivener projects is going to significantly improve my workflow and file management. What a time-saver! Thank you!

If anyone reading this knows of an app or workflow that creates a renamable equivalent of .inetloc files, please post it here in the comments.

I haven’t personally used it much, but Hookmark claims to do this:

Your workflow works in RTF-based apps, too. I tested Scrivener document links pasted into TextEdit and Scrivener.

Yes indeed. Anything that can hold a link and trigger it will be useful. You can even organise your Scrivener links using your web browser’s bookmark feature, if you’re feeling like it.

…which can’t be changed – the filenames IS the link.

Really! That’s kind of crazy, given how long and ugly URLs can be. Yeah, I guess aliases win in the end after all though. :slight_smile:

Hookmark is a good tool though! Not to be underestimated if you’re into this whole linking between programs business.

Your endorsement is definitely a reason to look at it more closely.

I know this is a Mac forum, but does anyone know if there something similar to Hookmark for Windows platforms?