How to disable the divider lines in Scrivenings mode ?

Thanks, druid. I feel the same way myself in terms of aesthetics. The alternating colours often made me feel awkward in an “off” section, and the dividers feel snappy and look great with titles enabled, especially a font that uses small caps. I do get the complaints with screenwriting and other applications where it adds too much vertical space, disrupting the pagination and copy/paste workflow, though.

Yes I agree with that - I think between the two of them - the existing new dividers and the additional “minimalist” dividers which are coming for 2.01 - you’ve really got it covered.

cheers
w

Thank you, this is brilliant. I like the new divider lines, but I have one or two projects where the new subtler dividers will be more appropriate.

I wouldn’t have thought to ask for this feature but I will definitely use it.

I like the new divider line, even if I think I’ll sometimes turn it off for the alternative solution Keith just introduced.

The older alternating color was not a problem for me, since I turned the grey background to a very light color, that was different enough to create a separation, but not enough to be a rough cut.

Paolo

Is anyone else having a problem with text of a particular document running over the split divider in scrivenings mode?

Like this?:
scrivenings break example.pdf (27.3 KB)

Thank you,

Michael

Yes. Minor display bug in Scrivenings Mode

Should be fixed for tomorrow’s (?) release.

Love the elegant corner cues. I will enjoy using both the new bars and the corner cues – and the spacelessness of the corner cues will definitely be useful for certain kinds of projects.

–Greg

1 Like

I like the new divider very much.

It really depends on what one is writing. In the moment, I am working on a short and rather theoretical piece for a magazine, and I am shifting paragraphs around: It’s really better to see the text as one continous flow.

On the other hand, when working on a novel (which I prefer, honestly) and having one scene in one document, I will most probably switch back to the thick divider lines. Because if one has to divide something (one scene from the next), it’s better to do it with style … :laughing:

So, actually, I love both dividers, each one for different reasons.

1 Like

Yes, I feel the same way. I’ve found occasions when the slim mode treats the source material best, and other times when the divider works best. I think the divider looks way better; it’s more like a printed book and is easy to spot as you are scrolling quickly. But there are times when it is best to have no obvious seams between scrivenings and for that I like the corner marks.

My guess is that this wasn’t fixed?

Here’s an example without my using Scrivenings. This is just one text file that somehow inserted a line divider:

Scrivenings Divider.pdf (39.4 KB)

Please help?

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael–

I’m a little uncertain from your image, but I logged a bug that might be what you’re getting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10244&start=0

Hi MimeticMouton,

The thing is is that I’m not within a Scrivenings session. This is one single document that happened to keep the dividing line.

Any thoughts?

I’ll try the formatting pane.

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yeah, sorry if that wasn’t clear. The bug is that switching from the single-line dividers (crop marks) to the standard line dividers when in a Scrivening session will produce the lines appearing in the single documents when not viewing Scrivenings. But I’ve only made it happen so far if I did the switch at some point when a Scrivenings session was open, so if you’re getting the lines just appearing without ever having done that, yours may be a little different. (Or rather, it’s probably a little more info on the same bug.)

The only way so far I’ve gotten it fixed from my bug is to close and reopen the project. But Ioa did suggest checking the text in the Format panes (Scrivener Preferences and Project>Text Preferences) to see if the divider line is showing up in the sample text there; apparently that was an old bug that some people got, and the buggy text then was showing up in the project. If that’s it, you can fix the text there with a clean sample.

Hi MM,

Yeah, I did exactly what you’ve just described. I had been within a Scrivening session with the affected files, then–when I closed the Scrivening session–the dividers were still there. I tried the formatting suggestions (both), but there are no dividers in the mock window, and the default formatting didn’t work.

And ditto here: The only way the documents went back to normal was if I closed the project and reopened.

Hope they can isolate this nasty insect! :laughing:

Best, and thanks,

Michael

1 Like

Ahh. Yeah, the formatting was fine in mine as well, but in case yours was a different case I wanted to offer it up.

In the meanwhile until the bug is fixed, you can still switch the mark type–just don’t have a Scrivenings session open when you do it. If it was in corkboard or outliner or just a single document view, I didn’t get the lines randomly showing up elsewhere.

Thank you very much MM. I was beginning to think the bug was already fixed and I had some malfunctioning copy. :smiley:

Best,

Michael

I’ve reproduced this and will start work on a fix tomorrow.
Thanks,
Keith

I can’t find where to switch the divider lines off and on to save my life… I’m on 2.0.2.

Where am I missing it?

The “Formatting” pane in the Preferences is what you want.
Best,
Keith

Found it, ta.