How to edit a template

Hello everyone!

I’m using one of the project templates for scripts and have hard time changing it. For instance, when I change the font type of the subdocument template (“Scene”), in the template folder, newly created scenes have the new font type, but after hitting return, the old font appears.
I also tried using Project Settings and “Use different default setting …” but the problem remains.

Thanks in advance!
Viktor

If you are tryin g to modify a built-in template you need to save your modifications as a new template because you cannot overwrite built-in templates. See section 5.4.4 of the user manual.

Stephen

Can you expand on this a bit? I’m not clear on what is happening from your description…

So, how are you checking for the new font setting?

And how are you setting the font type in the document template? Is there any text within the document? Are you selecting everything before changing the font settings? Are you using a style to change the font, or just manually changing the font settings from the formatting bar?

If using the formatting bar, you have to apply those settings to existing text in the document. If you edit that paragraph, and you applied those font settings to the ENTIRE paragraph, then new text will have those font settings. Also, font an paragraph settings don’t “stick” to completely empty documents.

If you’re using styles, keep in mind that a paragraph style has a setting the determines what the “next” style is after you hit enter. By default, it’s whatever the unstyled text settings (in Scrivener Preferences or Project Settings as you mention below). If you edit that style, you’ll be able to select the same style as the “next” style to use in the next paragraph. But that’s for all of that project, not just the document template.

Hitting Return within the document?

This setting governs the settings for newly created documents in your project; it doesn’t change existing documents. Did you try selecting documents in the binder and using the Documents->Convert menu to convert to default formatting on the selected documents?

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry if I was unclear. Let me try to clarify what I did so far:

I created a project from a project template (stage play). The font type of that project is Times New Roman. I want to change it to Palatino.
I tried to do that by changing the text of the document template (that is visible in the binder). In there, there is already some text (“ACT”, “SCENE”). When I create a new document, the text is in the new font type, Palatino, but when I hit return (in the document, for a new line/paragraph), the old font type, Times New Roman, is back.

Yes, I used the formatting bar and selected the entire paragraph.

I don’t necessarily need a customized project template, I just want to change the projects font type for all documents I create while writing.

If I understand correctly, I have to change the unstyled text settings for the project?

Thanks again!

The trick here is that script formatting is distinct from the regular default formatting, so in this case what you need to change is the font settings for the various elements within Format > Scriptwriting > Script Settings…

After you’ve changed the font for each of those and click OK, a conversion panel will come up to map your old elements to your new ones–in this case, the elements are all the same, of course, and it’s just that you’ve changed the font for each, but you’d see this same panel if for instance you switched from the UK Stage Play format to the US Stage Play or if you made other, larger formatting changes, so Scrivener wants to make sure it updates all your existing script text within the project the way you expect.

The changes you make to the script settings will only apply for this project, but from within that panel you can click the Manage popup menu in the lower left to save them for use in other projects; you could also create a new project template so that they’re set that way from the get go if you use this formatting regularly. (Check §5.4.3 in the manual for more information on creating your own template, but essentially you’d want to use Save As to create a copy of your current project, then clean it up by deleting your specific text and so forth that shouldn’t exist in the template, then use Save As Template…, after which you can delete the adjusted copy.)

Thank you, MM, that worked perfectly!