How to make spell check un-ignore a word?

Hi

I had a word that I accidentally misspelled. I then wanted to quickly right-click and choose the correct spelling in the box that pops up, but by mistake I clicked the “Ignore spellcheck” right below the suggested word, and now I cannot find anywhere to make Scrivener “Un-ignore” the word.

It is not like when you make Scrivener learn a new word. Here it’s possible to just access the list of personal words and remove the word in question, but I can’t find a similar list of words that the spell check has been told to ignore.

Can anyone help me?

Open a project in Scrivener, then select File / Show Application Support Folder. The ignored words are in the [Ignore] section of file wordlists.ini (which is a text file that can be opened in any text editor).

I suggest you make a backup copy of it first so you can recover if you mess something up.

3 Likes

Thank you! It worked perfectly!

I want to add my ‘same here’ with gratitude, but also add a few keywords to help others find this thread. For my case, it’s a Windows installation of Scrivener 3, which no longer seems to use the wordlists.ini file. Instead I was looking to edit the wordlists.txt file manually. *edit: (For anyone wondering, it does not show when viewing within Scriv, even when scrolling down.)* I searched “undo ignore spelling” and “un-ignore word,” so this should hopefully help others searching the same. Many thanks again.

1 Like

Yes, we had to come up with some solution for switching the spelling lists over safely when the programming toolkit finally upgraded to UTF-8 support. Updating the file in place was very risky, and could cause total corruption of the data if you used non-ASCII characters. At this point the old .ini file can be removed to reduce confusion.

1 Like

Really ? :stuck_out_tongue:
. . . . . . . . . . .
I write mostly in French. (éèàùê) You’d think that if I had my personal dictionary inflate to a staggering 389 mb (massively slowing down a project load), I’d remember…

Thank you Amber, that makes sense. Text/json files seem the way to go. It took me a long time to find this thread today using search engines (that are now basically AI powered), and also AI could not find it easily because it wasn’t exactly my use case (and the txt file wasn’t mentioned here yet). So I’m hopeful the next person searching that way will find this help.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t remember that at all! :melting_face:

2 Likes