How to Print Characters, Places, Research, Etc.?

Hi:

Looked in the manual and through the forum trying to find the answer to this. It seems so simple but –

I have two separate types of supporting information I’d like to print. One is Notes. The other is a group of files I’ve assembled at the end of the manuscript. The first is entitled Places, and I think Scrivener provided that. After it, I have Research with subfolders. Again, I think Scrivener may have given me this folder as it has a little notecard icon to the left. After that I have 6 folders that are all on the same “plane” as Places and Research but they have a document icon. I created all of these folders. After that I have Characters, a Scrivener file. That ends the files I want to print. Sample MS and Template Sheets I don’t want.

I’m sure I’m going to hit myself upside the head when I hear how easy this is to do. Will certainly appreciate the help.

Many thanks,
Jane

Well, I finally got desperate to have this material available in print format so I figured out a simple solution. I just added some chapters and imported the notes and other material. Simultaneously, I copied the data to a Word document where I can edit it and print. I could probably use Compile to do the assembly and I could have skipped the second copying (to Word) as Compile would have done that. Next time. For now, I have a way to get most of my research information into print. Still can’t find the “Notes” that are part of Scrivener, tho. I can’t see any way to print them. :frowning:

Jane

Hello Skid,
Maybe I’m missing something here, I usually do. I can print off any character/scene location ect, and stuff in the research folder. I select the File menu (top left) and choose print current document or choose print preview and select the ones from there.

Hi Shass:

I normally print from Compile because it allows me to choose the formatting of my document. Actually, I do see that I can print the whole document your way. That would require some reformatting to show chapters, wouldn’t it? Don’t want to try it at the moment as I’ve just printed out a copy but perhaps in the future, especially if Compile continues to be buggy.

Have a question for you: if you select Print Current Document, does it print the information you have in files after the chapters? In other words, does it print the files “Characters” and “Places?” Also, do you have your own folders after the chapters? I have some of my research in these folders and I’m wondering, since they’re not chapters or scenes and they’re not Scrivener pre-designated folders such as Places and Characters, will they print, too? I didn’t realize what I was doing when I createted those folders. I probably should have stored the information somewhere else. But that’s the stuff I couldn’t get to print when I used Compile and that I transferred to Word to get the job done.

Thanks for pointing me at something I should have seen long ago.

Jane

Hello Skid,
I would not print the whole document that way as like you say, it would lose the format capabilities of compile. Compile is one of the key components of Scrivener.
I only use the File/Print current document should I want to print something from the research folder. For example character profiles, setting sketches ect, or something I have imported there. Should you select a folder and then use File/Print current document, you will only print a list of the documents in that folder.
Scrivener is really designed to have your project that you are creating in the main Draft/ Manuscript (or whatever you may have called it) folder. All the rest of your support material is best placed in Research. Don’t forget you can move documents between the two. Good luck.

Hi Shass:

Thanks for the additional information. I agree that the compile function is very strong. Unfortunately, at the moment, it’s not working for me so I’m battling dual problems. Always something!

Thanks again,
Jane

If you want to compile your support documents, they have to be in your Draft/Manuscript (or whatever it’s named) folder. Note that you can’t move PDFs, image files, web pages or other files that are anything but Rich Text Format into the Manuscript folder.

If you really want to do this, then make a folder inside the Manuscript folder for your book, and move all of it’s files & folders inside that. Then move your Characters, Places, and other research folders into the Manuscript folder. Assuming you only have text files in the Character, Places, etc… folders, then you’ll be able to choose one of those folders as the top-level folder when you go to File->Compile. There will be a drop-down selection button near the top of the Contents pane of the Compile window. Click it and select Characters, or whatever you want to compile, and only files & folders therein will be compiled.

That’s pretty much what I wound up doing, Robert, but because Compile was (is) buggy and not exporting rtf or doc files, only txt, I copied all the research files over to Word. Actually, I’m finding it easier to keep my research files separate from Scrivener, as Word will print my photos and maps. Scrivener’s a great program, but like many here, I tend to stick with what I know and rarely have time for experimentation. Will try to remedy that during downtime. But then Margaritas and the beach are always so much more appealing than the computer when the clock’s not running… :smiley:

Many thanks for weighing in.

Jane