I’ve been reading about this and can’t find an answer. Is there a way to put a scene break within a single chapter that is both (a) visible in the editor, and (b) an instruction to Scrivener to treat the visible character(s) as a real scene break during compilation? I don’t want to use separate scene documents. I would like to keep it simpler.
If I put a blank line followed by another paragraph text, the compiled version shows a nicely centered # character followed by the paragraph that is not indented (because it’s the first paragraph in a new scene). This is standard Scrivener behavior. Excellent.
However, I would like to be able to see the scene break in the editor itself, that is I’d like to be able to put a character such as # on its own line and have Scrivener treat that character as a signal to generate a real scene break.
What I’ve discovered is that when I put my own # or *** (I’ve tried different things) as scene break in the editor, the compile process simply treats it as the normal text. It continues to indent the paragraph that follows. Moreover, if I center my manual # , it’s not really centered because it too is indented.
Any help appreciated. Thank you. Here’s an image of the compiled result that hopefully helps illustrate.
From Scrivener’s point of view, using separate scene documents is simpler.
Among other things, Scrivener considers that not all “scenes” are created equal. Depending on your project, some of them might be epigraphs, or quotations, or excerpts from diaries or log books. By treating these as separate documents, you can format them separately. You can also apply all of Scrivener’s metadata to them, which might be useful for tracking locations, objects, or characters present in a scene, among other things.
Thank you all. I came across a few different articles on the internet that talked about how to put a manual scene break, and even though the articles were about scrivener, apparently they’re just talking about how to indicate a scene break, like you can do in Word or other word processor, or on a typewriter for that matter.
The articles I saw made it sound like this was something specific to scrivener, so I thought I was missing something. Now it’s clearer.