How to use Scrivener for all my ideas?

My current workflow:

I get an idea I think is good - some philosophical musing, a joke, a whodonnit plot - and so I type my idea into some new text file which I name iuaweurer.txt. Later, I had to remember a password, so I type it into the text file, since it’s right there at the desktop. The text file grows larger with random info, and at some point I move it from the desktop into some subfolder.

So I think it could be nice to have a scrivener document reserved any of my everyday thoughts. Does this make sense? Also, I don’t know how this thing should be organized. Any ideas?

I use Scrivener’s Scratchpad for such things. General notes, project ideas, even lists of interesting names from the Name Generator, etc all get dumped in there for later inclusion in a specific Scrivener project.

In the Mac version, which is all I have, Window > Show Scratch Pad displays it for me. When an entry there is to be incorporated into a project then select the item in the Scratch Pad list and use the “Send to Project…” drop down at the bottom of that window. Navigate the list of projects and their contents. All done.

Oh by the way the one thing I do not store is passwords or PINs. I remember those. The former by basing them on long memorable pass phrases and a consistent n-th character rule. Thereafter I rely on muscle memory to type the pseudo-random string of characters.

Thanks for the tip about Scratchpad. I’d never used it before, never understood it’s purpose when going over it in that tutorial project. But I just gave it a try - it’s good!

(and yes, I should totally have a consistent system to remember all my passwords - but that would mean bothering changing them all - I look into it in my next reincarnation!)

Using a Scrivener project as a catch-it-all for ideas should be the easiest thing in the world: You create a new document for every idea, be it one sentence or a long text – and after that, you can add a label, a status, an icon, keywords ad lib; you can move the items around, sort them by date or whatever, have them on a pin boards and arrange them as you wish; you can search for words, keywords, whatever …

The most useful thing should be to group ideas that belong together, but arrive at different times. This way, larger projects will grow out of themselves, organically, so to say, instead of being driven by superimposed structures or strategies. In fact this was the basic intention for creating an application like Scrivener, only that it originally targeted novels. But for writing novels, a good idea management - and a lot of ideas as well - are indispensable.

In case you want to collect ideas for a Scrivener project “on the move” with an iPad or iPhone, I have found this recent suggestion very helpful.

Adding to Hugh’s comment, below is the way I have set it up. Title is the first line of the note, adding time helps keeping different notes apart, and the content is everything except the first line.

Drafts is handy for doing similar things together with other apps. A really handy app!

But for bits and pieces of miscellaneous info, I use Evernote. You can dump almost anything into Evernote, and then just copy what you need to the Scrivener-project Research folder.