I absolutely HATE Scrivern's Compile "feature"!

I’ve been using computers since about 1981. At work I usually become the person co-workers turn to to learn how to use a piece of software to accomplish a task. And I absolutely HATE Scrivener’s compile “feature”.

The problem exists in two areas: Usability and documentation.

Whereas the rest of the program is straightforward and responds logically to commands, the Compile function is convoluted and opaque. It’s like a completely separate program that is completely unrelated to the rest of Scrivener. And the ridiculously small window in which the sprawl of fidgety compile settings and features is presented makes things even worse.

Completely confounded by the Compile window’s un-intuitive design, I turned to the manual. Holy Cow! — 39 pages of densely written prose. Do I really need to wade through all that to format a bit of output? Suggestion: Break up the massive thickets of prose, add more task-oriented headings, describe how to accomplish that task rather than ramble on in wordy philosophical discussion. That is, enable people to quickly locate and apply solutions rather than try to find answers hidden in long paragraphs.

At this point I’ve tried four times now to get Scrivener to permit me (as in, pretty please?) to use something other an 16-point font in a document’s body (an absurdly large default in the first place). I’ve painstakingly spelunked my way to the settings, read the manual to find all the fidgety options boxes that need to be checked, and applied the changes. And Scrivener goes right back to using a 16-point font.

It does so because when I re-open the Compile window, my settings haven’t been saved even though I’ve tried “Save Preset” the Compile tool reverts to Custom rather than uses my named settings file. In a way that doesn’t matter because my settings changes didn’t get into my named Settings file, eitther. The result is that even though I’ve been saving computer files and settings since 1981I can’t figure out how to save some Compile settings in Scrivener.

Scrivener the writing program deserves better than the bolted-on monstrosity of an afterthought that is the Compile “feature”.

Cheers & thanks for listening,
Riley
SFO

Ooooh! Great game, can I play?

Okay, here’s my list of things that I HATE!

• poverty
  • world hunger
  • racism and religious intolerance
  • sexism and sexual inequality
  • baked beans

And just to provide some balance to the world, here are some things I LOVE!

• PG Tips
  • soft-shelled crab
  • Mrs Pigfender
  • (almost all) the music of R.E.M.
  • Basset Hounds

Then you haven’t had the right ones yet. I’m pretty sure I can change your opinion on this one.

You may need to spend a bit o’ time with the ear draggers. Cute. But … messy.

No comment on the Mrs PF. She puts up with the like of you so she is likely a saint.

Once you’ve had time to cool off from ranting (as we all need to do from time to time), please feel free to ask how to accomplish individual compile tasks in Technical Support. Sounds like with a little guidance, you could easily master what is eluding you.

Unless we are on a case similar to this one: :laughing:

I noticed a lack of vic-k, headless idiots, and NiaD completing puppies. I wonder if piggy needs more beer?

Fixed that for you.

The one an only true “OC” …

@Riley,

Much as I love Scrivener, I have to agree with your assessment of the compiler UI. It requires far too much experimentation and study to figure out how it really works, especially if your project is large and uses a wide variety of on-screen layouts. And it’s so non-wysiwyg that it’s notably out of place in such a forward-thinking application. Several of my writer friends ended up abandoning Scrivener just because of the difficulty of using the compile front-end.

I should add that I don’t exactly hate the compiler—it’s just a blob of code, and I certainly don’t hate anyone working in Scrivener’s development group. But I dearly wish it was more visual, easier to use, and a lot more self-explanatory.

And bigger, too—there is really no good reason for making dialog boxes fixed size. It’s an option that most IDE’s provide because it’s in the Windows spec, but it takes only a few minutes extra work to anchor all the components to one edge or another and let the user stretch the window to a more usable size. If nothing else, at least we should be able to stretch the window large enough to see the full hierarchy and the formatting simulation at the same time.

Allen

I have this habit where if I discover an item of food that I hate, I force myself to play with the recipe to try and engineer a version that I do like. As a result of this, I’m pretty sure I make the best scrambled eggs in the history of the world.

My baked beans are a work in progress (and very non-vegetarian, containing, as they do, both pancetta and lamb shanks), but it’s still at a point where I’m like “I understand why others might like this” rather than something I’d actually want to eat. I fear that if I go further to the point where I actually like them, they’ll no longer be the kind of thing that could honestly be called “baked beans”.

This I have actually done! While in Canada I volunteered at a Basset Rescue charity. My record is to have 4 Hounds sitting on me at any one time. BEST. JOB. EVER. But I agree, at the end of the day I was in two minds whether to wash my t-shirt or just burn it.

“Hypnotism for beginners” book. Best ROI ever.
Only kidding.
Whilst Mrs PF is very lovely indeed, I’d say she’s more feisty than saintly, and all the more lovely because of it.

“Collapse Into Now” and “Around The Sun”. They definitely became less consistent after Berry left, but mostly I’m a huge fan. For some reason I find I can’t listen to those two albums.

Great tune! Also “Pop Song 89” is actually a song about fizzy pop.

I have this habit where if I discover an item of food that I hate, I force myself to play with the recipe to try and engineer a version that I do like. As a result of this, I’m pretty sure I make the best scrambled eggs in the history of the world.

My baked beans are a work in progress (and very non-vegetarian, containing, as they do, both pancetta and lamb shanks), but it’s still at a point where I’m like “I understand why others might like this” rather than something I’d actually want to eat. I fear that if I go further to the point where I actually like them, they’ll no longer be the kind of thing that could honestly be called “baked beans”.

[quote=“Jaysen”]

[quote=“pigfender”]
You’ve already passed Baked Beans, Mr. P, and plunged headfirst into Cassoulet. Next notch up the crazy throttle: add a few pieces of duck confit, some garlic, and a crust of bread crumbs and parsley.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 … ecipe.html

What the heck? Real “baked beans” contains only two types of meat: Pork and bacon. Anything else and you are not making baked beans.You are making “something-not-baked-beans”.

I’m pretty sure we can set one (if not both of you) straight on the beans. But let’s start with the process.

1. How many pots/pans did you use? More than one and you did it … not right.
  2. Did you user real molasses? And by real, did you have to order from some backwoods place in Alabama from “Billy Jean” who may or may not have been male or female?
  3. What liquor did you put in the beans? When did you add it? How drunk did you get on it BEFORE you added it?
  4. Did you soak the beans?
  5. How did you make the bacon and salt pork?
  6. Did you grow your own mustard plants or did you buy stuff from a store?

I can’t give you my recipe, but should you find yourself within an hour of Savannah GA, I will hand deliver a pot. Just give me 24hr notice.

And to those complaining about the compile window, read the manual. Seriously. It is documented. It is also the “output engine” for scrivener which has been repeatedly noted as NOT wysiwyg by the creators. If you need assistance with setting up a complex compile, just ask. Folks will help.

[/quote]
What the heck? Real “baked beans” contains only two types of meat: Pork and bacon. Anything else and you are not making baked beans.You are making “something-not-baked-beans”.

I’m pretty sure we can set one (if not both of you) straight on the beans. But let’s start with the process.

1. How many pots/pans did you use? More than one and you did it … not right.
  2. Did you user real molasses? And by real, did you have to order from some backwoods place in Alabama from “Billy Jean” who may or may not have been male or female?
  3. What liquor did you put in the beans? When did you add it? How drunk did you get on it BEFORE you added it?
  4. Did you soak the beans?
  5. How did you make the bacon and salt pork?
  6. Did you grow your own mustard plants or did you buy stuff from a store?
    [/quote]

[/quote]
I live in Maine, and don’t need instructions on baked beans, which up here are on practically every table every Saturday night, and consist only of beans (Yellow eye or soldier), salt pork (yes, I make my own), molasses, an onion, and trace amounts of paprika, black pepper, and dry mustard. Oh, and at least 12 hours in a dying wood oven (or a rock-lined hole in the ground). This recipe is at least four generations old, and unchanged.

But with the addition of all those miscellaneous meats, Mr. P was squirting past baked beans into the even more ancient French dish known as cassoulet, which, at least in its proper version, requires half a butcher shop to replicate, and is so regionally specialized in its native Languedoc that fist-fights break out over whether it can even be called cassoulet if it lacks proper Toulouse sausages. It’s insanity, of course, but worth the trouble for those who must.

Just as learning to Compile is worth the trouble to learn. Yes, it’s hard, but compared to writing a book it’s a piece of cake.

Captain Ahab,

My sincerest apologies. I do believe I was so aghast at piggy’s abuse of the term “baked beans” in describing his efforts that I may have had a stroke. I would quite enjoy a sampling of traditional New England beans.

As to bean selection, We’ve always used “navy” beans. Mostly due to their traditional availability in 50lb bags at the local feed store. I still use them because i didn’t find any bean that worked with the traditional base handed down.

One thing that has always been present in the family recipe is sources of capsaicin. According to family lore is was to cover the use of … army bacon … noticing the common thread here? … and add a little more acid to the pot.

On other “traditional” cooking options, I’ve recently gotten ahold of fresh turnips. Too lazy to grow my own, I wait for a “local” (someone who has lived here longer than me) to pull up a bunch and come in with cash in hand. I managed to get one local farmer just when he pulled beets, turnips, sweet potatoes and red/whites right out of the sand. Local scallions, garlic, fresh thyme and pepper sautéd in butter are pored over mid-sized cubes laid out on a lined jelly roll pan. Roast in 425°F oven until turnips are just tender. mix and spoon into bowels. Top with parmesan and fresh parsley. You can make enough for 12 people for less than $5 (including butter). I call that win. This is based on grandma’s yam and potato roasting. Lots of kids make inexpensive, easy, filling and nutritious important.

OK, Jaysen, for once I’m going to request that you actually proofread what you write. Those of us who are enjoying this little bean-fest are agog at this sentence and wondering whether you actually mean it.

Dave

This is sounding more and more like Pibgorn meets Get Fuzzy.

please re-read the bean post. Point 3 in particular. This is the deep south…

My apologies though. Bowls. You spoon the tubers into bowls. Nature will fill the bowel in due time.

Sorry. That was bad too.

Who knew that a casual anti-bean comment could provoke such heartfelt displays of emotion and support. I am encouraged to learn that there are people in the world such as your goodselves willing to speak up against bean-racism wherever it can be found.

Suitably scolded, I shall keep my bigoted beanist thoughts to myself going forward. Still not going to eat the bloody things, though.

BTW, what are those things all the cheap hotels serve with breakfast over there? They look like some type of bean, but taste like … something-not-bean.