I cannot find text (with the right search options) although that text is available

I cannot find text (with the right search options) with the two search options although that text is available. Even when I copy text, a word, some letters directly from an open doc.

Why is that? How could I find text?

I’m afraid your screenshot is too small to see, but it doesn’t seem to show the search options.

The most common reasons for unsuccessful searches are (1) the relevant documents are excluded from the search, or (2) the search is limited to, for instance, the title or the synopsis.

That’s quick search.

In your screenshot you’ve typed nothing to search for. What happens if you search for “a” ?

Sorry, I meant, I do not find text although I use the CORRECT search options. For example:

And I meant: I do not find text with the search field, left side, and with that quick search. But now I find text, but not every text phrase (even in the SAME doc). Some are found, some are not. How could I find EVERY phrase / word? Not only some phrases / words?

So the search options in the search field effect the search in the quick search?

What happens if you search for “a” ?

Then it shows a lot of items under the search field and much less items when I use that quick search.

I’m not sure what you mean.

With the setting “All” and “All Words” you can search for: garden

and find:
gardenparty and partygarden (so everything)

If you want to search for an exact string, use quotation marks

“My garden”

Exact Phrase, does exactly the same thing.

If you just enter a, it should find every a.

It looks like you are searching for the Exact Phrase. You might experiment with the other choices, depending on what you actually want.

Also, the Quick Search, by design, is not affected by these options.

Very sorry for that. Why is that? What do you not understand?

It looks like you are searching for the Exact Phrase.

It was just an example.

It looks like you are searching for the Exact Phrase. You might experiment with the other choices, depending on what you actually want.

Okey, it seems like I absolutely have no ability to convey what I mean here. Very sorry for my bad expression.

Also, the Quick Search, by design, is not affected by these options.

Why can’t I find special phrases / sentences / words, etc. with it? How could I find EACH phrase / sentence / word, etc. with the quick search (and not only some of them)? What do I have to do?

Could it be that you speak German?

Yes, yes, but I don’t think I would be able to express myself understandably in German either unfortunately.

It would be best to capture examples of:
a. What you’re searching for.
b. The search criteria (options) applied.
c. A document where the same word or phrase is found (highlighted) in certain instances and not in others.
That would qualify what you’re querying and help us spot an anomaly.

1 Like

May be I could try it like this:

Example

These options, no others:

The words “xxx” and “yyy” are in the same doc.

I search for “xxx” (with the search options above), it is found.

I search for “yyy” (with the search options above), it is not found (in the same doc).

I search for “xxx” in that quick search field, it is found.

I search for “yyy” in that quick search field, it is not found.

Why? How could I achieve to find EVERY word (in the in/excluded docs)? Not only SOME of the words, but each single word.

Or in other words: why are some words found, others aren’t? Even when they are in the same file / document.

Putting aside settings for a moment (which look okay to me for what you want), if ‘xxx’ is found but not ‘yyy’ in the same document with the same settings, I would suspect the search index isn’t accurate for some reason.

Try using File ▸ Save and Rebuild Search Indexes, right below Save and Save As. No need to reload (though you should close and reopen search), after it completes, you should find the results are now accurate.

If that doesn’t work, then I would copy ‘yyy’ and paste it into the search field. Maybe it is, just to provide one example, actually yy<0x2060>y, where the stuff in the middle there is invisible, and is the Unicode Word-Joiner character, meant to keep a word from hyphenating at that spot. Another type of problem could be a character that looks like ‘y’ but is actually something else, like ‘у’ (yes, those are two completely different characters).

Why can’t I find special phrases / sentences / words, etc. with it? How could I find EACH phrase / sentence / word, etc. with the quick search (and not only some of them)? What do I have to do?

Quick Search is maybe better thought of as “jump to” or “quick open”. Its purpose is to quickly find one item out of everything in the binder, and jump to it upon pressing return, and maybe down arrow a few times to get to it. Its design is thus optimised toward that last part, the arrow around and pressing return part (or I suppose mouse clicking, for those so inclined). Part of that optimisation is to keep the list short, and to only show the top ten candidates for the three areas it looks within (title, synopsis and text).

Besides if you want a complete list, there is already a tool for that.

1 Like

That’s great, that works. Now I find what I haven’t found before. So I have to do it for each project, I guess. Why does Scrivener not do it automatically? How could I get Scrivener to keep that index updated automatically? Or should one each time after opening a project update that inded manually?

OK, thank you, that wasn’t the cause here,

But it uses the same search index, I assume.

No, no, thank you, that is enough.

Glad to hear it is resolved!

So I have to do it for each project, I guess.

Oh no! You definitely should not have to use that command all of the time. It is there as a repair tool for when things goes wrong. It’s hard to say exactly what went wrong, but the most common cause is the project being modified outside of itself—for example if one loads its RTF files directly in a word processor on their tablet and writes about ‘yyy’, the search index will not have a record of that activity. It even does try to detect when things aren’t lined up right internally, and automatically rebuild it on project load, but such things can only be as reliable as all of the conditions we think up.

As for where it gets used, yes—in fact just about anything in the software that would require rapidly knowing whether something has a particular thing in it, or even any thing at all. All manner of things break if it is not correct, such as tooltips, what you see on the corkboard, even if the icons have a filled page or not.

I did not do such. But since I couldn’t find certain text, I searched with another program outside of Scrivener and opened an rtf in another program to see (not edit) the contents. Then messages from Scrivener appeared about lack of access or something like that.

So you will never know the cause. Maybe it has something to do with a re-installation of Win what I did.

1 Like