I realise the answer to this will probably be a "No", but...

…with the increasing amount of super small netbooks hitting the market, such as the Acer Aspire One and Asus eee PC, is there a likelihood of a Linux version of Scrivener? It seems ideally suited to such a platform, and the thought of having a tiny, very portable laptop devoted to Scrivener, makes me go weak at the knees, big nerd that I am. :slight_smile:

I can field this one for Keith.

The answer is No, as the application would need to be entirely rewritten from the ground up, as none of the code could be ported from Cocoa across to Linux or Windows.

Matt

I recently bumped into code.google.com/p/bookwrite/

It’s brand new, but it looks like it has a similar focus as Scrivener.

I’ll have to try it on my eee though.

cheers,

Tanja

Oh, that looks interesting. Thanks for the pointer. :smiley:

A port to Linux would probably be less of a hassle than to Windows, I think. Cocoa is very similar to OpenStep on Linux. But yes, either way would constitute a major amount of work.

On Linux, check out Writer’s Cafe. I found it to be a little over-bearing and “Windows-ish” in application philosophy, but that is just a matter of opinion. A much less “friendly” writing environment that is nonetheless quite powerful is the Leo outliner. It has a learning curve like Tinderbox, but is otherwise a very clever outliner with some unique ideas (such as automatically binding folders and files to the outline. Create and edit notes in Leo and they will automatically appear as text files on your system. Edit those files and Leo adjusts the outline to match the files). Leo runs pretty much everywhere, too (granted, after installing a few open source libraries (requires Python/Tk) on some systems). Leo is one of those applications that is flexible enough to do plenty of different tasks. Years ago, before I switched to using Macs most of the time, I published my website using Leo. Like Tinderbox, it allowed me to focus on the content while the application managed the HTML templates.

LyX has grown up quite a bit in the past few years. If you are not familiar, it is a 100% semantic word processor with no fonts and so forth, just pure styles. In recent versions, it has an outliner side-bar which allows you to dynamically shuffle parts of your book around, like in Scrivener. It’s definitely a word-processor though, not an"app for writers" in the sense that Scrivener, Avenir, Ulysses, and so forth are. That said, the semantic nature of LyX brings writing back to the word-processor environment. I used to do all of my writing in LyX, and that was before it has a good way to manage your document’s structure. Working in LyX does not require familiarity with LaTeX, and most distributions of it these days will set up everything for you. Making a book-ready PDF is as simple as selecting a menu option.

I could not find a way to do this. Are you referring its sidebar table of contents? It seems to be read-only i.e. a navigation aid.

Sophie

There should be a set of four buttons at the bottom of the sidebar which will promote, demote, and move the item up and down in the outline.

After some months of daily use of a 7" EeePC, I must say that even the idea of being able to work on it with Scrivener or something similar is totaly fool. I use JDarkRoom at full screen, and even this way there is very little space just for plain text. I’ve no idea of where the Binder could be placed. Maybe on a second, networked EeePC?

Cheers, Paolo

Doesn’t the current crop if Eees have a screen that is 1024px wide? Anyone using an older iBook knows what that is like. Sure, you can’t use vertical splits and have the Binder and Inspector open at once, but it is certainly viable.

I don’t think Paolo’s point was about the capability (quantitative), but the usability (qualitative). I know that as my body begins to rebel from years of abuse, it no longer agrees to do the things that I think that it should. Like read 10 point font printed in a book with out the aid of spectacles. I know this meat popsicle that I inhabit USED to do it, but …

Another way of saying it would be that I personally have difficulty reading 10-12 points on a 14" Dell (d620) at 1280x800. I can’t imagine what 1024 on a 7" would look like…

Call me old and decrepit. My kids do.

[size=75]There is a story here involving Watkins Glenn State park, a staircase, a dare, and a long time waiting to move on. The humiliation still tastes like crow so I will spare you all (except vic-k as listening to me is his penance) a recounting. [/size]

The eee pc has a resolution of 800x480 on the 7" screen. As far as I know the 9" version does do 1024.
I personally wouldn’t want 1024 on a 7" either :stuck_out_tongue:

Tanja

I agree with Paolo, but in regards to the EeePC’s keyboard rather than screen. I also use(d) JDarkRoom on it and I like that, especially once the developer made it possible to move the side margins (at first there was only a narrow column in the middle of the screen). The EeePC’s keyboard is just too small for me.

(Note that this is for the first one, the 701. After that I went and bought an MBA and haven’t looked at the other netbooks since. :smiley: )

I agree with AmberV about Writer’s Cafe. It is nice and I was pleased with the installation (smoother than most for me with linux!) but there’s a lot more “stuff” that comes with it that I don’t need. (The card app - Storylines? - is very nice, though.)

I use an Asus eee PC 1000H. 10 inch screen, and the keyboard is plenty big enough (about 92% the size of a standard laptop keyboard) for extended periods of typing. 1024*600 resolution would make Scriv pretty viable.

Anyhoo, it’ll never happen, but it’s a nice thought! :smiley:

I want one. :slight_smile: Even though it lacks Scrivener. I saw 900, I think it was, in a retail store and the keyboard did not look to be that much different in width than the old Palm Pilot foldable keyboard I used to use. That was plenty comfortable for long typing sessions. The screen resolution looks about like the MacBook generation does, as far as font size and clarity goes. Of course it is smaller overall, but in terms of sheer pixel density, I wouldn’t think it would be that much of a strain for long writing sessions.

Personally, I find the 900 series of eee PC’s keyboards a touch on the small side which is why I went for the 1000. They’re a little bit pricey for what you get, as you can pay not much more and get a laptop with a better spec, although nowhere near as portable. Basically, the keyboard, nice long battery life (I get about 5 to 6 hours out of mine) and portability are what sold it to me. I can sling it in my bag, and barely even know it’s there, it’s so light.

Another way of looking at this question:
I have an eee pc 900, and have been trying to install OSX on it. Google “EEEPC OSX” and you find, among others, the following.
eeepc-osx.wikispaces.com/

It shows promise. I have been unsuccessful so far, but I haven’t tried very hard. It’s simple to reinstall XP or Linux when I give up though. It takes about half an hour.

Caveats:
Apparently OSX runs slowish (fast enough for Scrivener? I hope so),
Not everything works. For instance the wireless adapter needs to be changed for a Dell one for $15 from ebay.
It isn’t very legal to install Apple software on PC hardware. I argue the old “personal use” defence, and the fact that there are about ten Apple products in my house means they haven’t done too badly out of me over the years.

If people are interested, I will report my efforts…
Cameron

I am seriously pondering purchasing Scrivener but I face a challenge in that I travel very often, and my work notebook is not a Mac. Right now I am using Mindola’s SuperNoteCard, which is great, but lacks some of the features of Scrivener. I am trying to avoid carrying two notebooks when I travel.

Alas, I don’t think there is a good solution for me. I’ve tried running OSX on a VM but it’s dog slow, and almost always crashes. If there was a way to get an online hosted desktop account for OS X I would do that, as I always have cell connectivity when I travel, but there’s no such option either.

Count me in as another user that would love a cross-platform version of Scrivener.

Hi,

I haven’t commented on this thread yet purely because I have commented on this topic extensively elsewhere, but I have to reiterate that, I’m afraid, there are currently no plans to port Scrivener to a different platform. As a solo developer the effort would be massive and would only dilute - considerably - the work on the OS X version. Getting another developer on board to develop a Linux or OS X version isn’t a great solution either, as it would mean separate code bases for different platforms, which would be messy. To really make it cross-platform, the whole thing would need re-coding in C or C++ as the base and have the UI layer written specific for each platform (i.e. Cocoa for OS X). Learning C or C++ and then re-coding a program I’m pretty happy with (especially with the upcoming 1.5) isn’t something I want to do; life is too short, and I want to use Scrivener myself. For a more lengthy explanation of why porting isn’t really possible, try a search of the forums for “windows” or “GNU” or “GNUStep” or suchlike. A cross-platform version would be nice (and would no doubt make me a lot more money), but it just isn’t feasible as a small company right now.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Totally understandable. Well, I am actually considering carrying my Macbook around just to do writing anyway. It’s nice to have instant access to all of my data on every platform, but that’s sort of a pipe dream.

The software is fantastic and the productivity gains alone might be sufficient enough reason for me to carry around a smaller notebook with me in addition to my huge work notebook. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

You might want to check out some of Apple’s older 12" models (either Pro or iBook format) in the used market. I’d say these are still the most portable computers they have made. Sure, the Air in thinner on one end, but over-all it is still a fairly large laptop in the grand scheme.