Image captions and Images separated after Compile

Hello, I have a large number of images tagged like this <$img:TITLE;w=400>. They compile fine. My captions for these images are in simple text, however, and often get “separated” from the images after Compiling into MS Word (by ‘separated’ I mean that they are often left behind on a previous page if the image is too big to fit on that page). Is there a simple way to “bind” the caption to the image so that they always appear together, even if the image jumps to a new page in Word? One way to deal with this would be to write the captions after the image tag, but I need the captions to appear at the top of the images, not the bottom. I would rather format this in Scrivener, because reformatting captions for 100 images in Word after every Compile is time-consuming. Thanks for any tips you have!

Hi,

Use Format > Text > Keep with Next on your image captions. This will force them to stay on the same page as the following paragraph, so that if your images get pushed onto the next page, the captions will go with them.

Hope that helps,

All the best,
Keith

Simple and elegant solution!

Been looking for this solution to work with headings so the heading follows to the next page if the image below it does. Unfortunately this doesnt seem to work that way around.

(2024 and the option is located in “Format > Paragraphs> Keep with Next” on Scriv 3 for windows)

If the heading is left behind when your image changes page, the real question is, why did the image change page.
If the heading + the image below it (+ caption?) are too big together to fit a page, there is no solution other than making the image smaller, or the page’s top and/or bottom margins thinner.

Keep with next will only work if it can. (If you glue together a “block” bigger than what a page may contain, it won’t work. That block will split more or less as if keep with next wasn’t used at all.)
But in the case of a heading, it shouldn’t be necessary. (Not that you can anyways. – I mean for a title/heading that comes from the compile format ; you can’t, to my knowledge.)

If the case is that your heading compiles mid-page (and the image is bigger than what it leaves the page), assign that document a different section type / section layout, and have a page break in front of it. You’ll get exactly what you would’ve if you could force the heading to follow.