Immediate crash trying to select backup location

Hi, my 11-year-old daughter is writing a novel :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: and I thought she might like to experiment with Scrivener to organize things.

I installed the 64-bit trial version on 64-bit Windows 10.

When we open, we have the option to select a backup location.

When I click that button, it opens a folder selection dialog, but after 3-5 seconds the whole program crashes.

I tried it three times, and one time I got this in the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Scrivener.exe, version: 3.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x6088bbc8
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0xe7a22463
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff259
Faulting process id: 0x41ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a560cd93c8f4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Scrivener3\Scrivener.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 35c43913-b6d6-471a-8bdb-fde7afb7378c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Is there other information I can add? Does Scrivener create its own crash logs, and if so, where can I find them?

Yes, there are crash logs in the installation folder, in the ‘minidump’ subfolder. But a few things I would try before sending those in:

1. Firstly, in the install folder you’ll find a “ScrivenerLog.bat” script. Double-click on that to launch Scrivener with extra logging output.
  2. Next, opt out of backups when it gets to that point. Once you’re in the software, try creating a new project using the “Blank” option (the simplest choice). Does the file dialogue crash here as well? Just trying to determine whether it is an issue overall, or with that one dialogue. If it does work, and you can open a new project, try going into File ▸ Options..., and under the Backup tab, set the backup folder again.

Hi, AmberV,

Here are the results.

1. I ran ScrivenerLog.bat twice, once to reproduce the crash, and once with the workarounds you mentioned. I have three files in minidump.

2. I had success with these steps.

Are there any other logs besides the ones in minidump? And where should I send them?

The link in the previous message takes you to our contact page. You’ll need to use the tech support email address to send in attachments.

Glad to hear you were able to get past the crashes and get things set up.