Import "simple" markdown?

Hello,
I am quite new even to “simple” Markdown, and only becoming acquainted with MMD. My question is, Does Scrivener import *.txt files marked with “simple” Markdown? I have attached a small sample file, along with a screen shot of how it looks when imported to Scrivener. Some elements are successfully rendered (paragraphing, lists), some are ignored (emphasis, strong), and some disappear with their marked text (hashtag headers, links).

If it helps, this is the workflow I imagine: I would like to take plain-text notes in Notational Velocity, using Markdown for my simple formatting wishes (pretty much just what I describe above). Later, if I want to use the note for Web writing, then I process it to HTML using Services > Markdown as described here: http://gothick.org.uk/2010/08/04/installing-markdown-as-a-os-x-service-using-automator-in-snow-leopard (got that working fine). But if instead I want to use the text in a word processor document, I would like to begin by importing it to Scrivener. Does that make sense?

I am not opposed to getting into MMD, but while I was a reasonably handy HTML 4.0 guy, I have almost no experience with code, shell scripts, and unix. So can anyone point me gently in a good direction?

Thanks.

MarkdownSample.txt (458 Bytes)

All the importer does actually is look for headers (which are the same in both MD and MMD). I don’t think it picks up ATX style headers though, now that I think about it. It definitely handles ## style headers. When a header is encountered its depth will be calculated and any text falling after it, up until the next header, will be inserted into that item at the appropriate outline depth. The result is an indented outline in the binder representing the structure of the original document.

If your document does not have headers—you’ll just get a regular file. The rest of the syntax will be ignored. When using Scrivener with MMD, you essentially treat it like a plain-text file, not a word processor.

Final note: Unless you need to heavily modify the MMD workflow, you don’t need to know anything about UNIX and coding. You see a lot of talk about that on the forum because a lot of MMD users are also geeks and we like to dabble with things if we can, but you can just write using basic Markdown and use the MMD compilers without any problems. MMD is a super-set of MD, it doesn’t change anything fundamental, merely adds some extra codes for footnotes and such—things that writers will benefit from.

Thanks for replying, AmberV. Your answer makes me think that my markdown should work: here is a screenshot of the *.txt file, with its hashtag header at the top and URL links at the bottom. But, when I Import it into Scrivener, the top Header and everything from the second Header down are missing from the Imported Scrivening in my binder. (You can see the Scrivening in my first post.)

Are you able to see any obvious problem with my markdown that would cause such a problem? When I process the same file as HTML, it all renders beautifully.

Thanks again, very much.

Okay, now your comment “All the importer does actually is look for headers” is coming through to my brain. I had previously been thinking that “Import” meant Scrivener would actually render the syntax as formatting. But rather, this all happens entirely in Export. In Import, it only breaks the Markdown file up according to its headers.

Gotcha.

Now I’ll start figuring out why the *.rtf Export isn’t rendering my ordered and unordered list. Small steps. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Now I’ll start figuring out why the *.rtf Export isn’t rendering my ordered and unordered list.

I’ll answer my own question so that it might help someone doing a forum search later: The *.rtf export didn’t render well because I wasn’t using Word to read it. I had tried OpenOffice, Mellel, and Nisus importing the RTF, but none of them got it quite right. MS Word 2008 for Mac handled perfectly the RTF produced by Scrivener’s MultiMarkdown exporter.