"Include Scriptwriting Elements as Styles", can't find them in word processor?

I’ve ticked on “Include Scriptwriting Elements as Styles” in my compiler, but upon opening the compile in LibreOffice Writer, my script elements don’t show up in the style selector. Instead, each object is a default paragraph element individually styled.

Is it a LibreOffice thing? My custom scriptwriting format? Potentially me misinterpreting the tick box?

Perhaps if you try toggling both options in the styles panel of your compile format ?

I’ve never done such a manipulation, but I would expect the second option to be just so you can add them to the list and further tweak them (or even just so that they can be exported too), as the first option would be to indeed export them to the compiled document.
In that logic, checking the second option without checking the first wouldn’t do anything…

[EDIT] I just fooled with it a bit and I can’t get it to work either.
Might be one of those things that are not actually included yet as regard to ScriptMode.
I used a style on one of my script elements and it came out listed alright. (But as the style, not as the element.)

What would actually help is if someone running a MAC could try it out and see if checking the option (or both) actually does what is here intended.
This way we’d know it is just not part of the windows version yet.
(I couldn’t find any reference to it in the manual. – There are a few things that are there interface-wise (in the app, not in the manual), but for which there is no coding yet. (Or that just don’t work.))

It is completely omitted from the manual (best guess is that the function is not coded in yet) :

1 Like

Unless you have a particular workflow purpose in using LibreOffice, I recommend a different approach:

Do your screenwriting in Scrivener, and then collect your documents into a folder, duplicate the folder and then merge the duplicate documents into a single document. Export that merged document to an FDX file.

Open the FDX file using WriterSolo (It’s completely free and fully functional.) Do your final touch-ups and final formatting in WS and output to PDF in WS as well.

Exporting to FDX is simpler and less prone to issues than compiling.

HTH

1 Like

WS doesn’t seem to take my script well. I’m guessing cause it’s comic and not screenplay?

Yes, I think you need to make a comic template in WS that matches the names and formatting of your elements. You might want to contact WS/WD tech support. They’re pretty good about sorting these kinds of things out.

Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for essentially duplicating part of what the compiler does automatically, by hand?

Convenience. Compiling is so complex and versatile that it’s easy to make a mistake that affects your FDX format. This method is simple and effective. Even moreso after automating using KM.

All right! Well FDX is quite a bit simpler than the rich text route, kind of like Markdown in that there is less to worry about on the compiler side since most of the heavy-lifting is done by markup (of one kind of another). But whatever works best for you!