Insert fraction

A quick question - I’d like to insert a fraction into my text. I know I can do this easily once I compile to a word processor, but I’m afraid I might forget as it’s just one instance in a 110,000 word manuscript. Is this possible without buying MathType, or will I just have to remember to do it?

Depends on what the fraction is, I guess. I’d put a margin comment to remind myself to do it in the w-p, if it’s anything complex.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I just wanted to insert a half (1/2), so I’ve actually just opened up Word, written it there and then copied and pasted into Scrivener. Not exactly elegant, but good enough for a single use.

Mac OS has the auto-correction of some fractions turned on by default so the first thing to try is just to type the one you want (i.e. 1/4) and see what happens…

If that doesn’t work, then Edit > Emoji and Symbols brings you the OSX Character Viewer. If you type in the word fraction, it will show you all the glyphs available, which for me are:

¼ ½ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ⅐ ⅑ ⅒ ↉

Double click on the one you want and it will be entered into your text.

Of course, if you use one of these regularly you can add it the system auto-correct list in the normal way.

Brilliant, thanks for the tip Brookter.

To get one of the standard fractions, like ½ you need a space before and a space after and it will happen automatically, you then just go back and delete the space before. Job done! :smiley:

Mark