Installing Scrivener 3.1.1 on Linux (Wine 7.0) without problems

I have never had any issues with registration (going back to Wine 5 that comes with Debian Bullseye, before I added an apt source to the official stable builds). I would launch it from the terminal so you can keep an eye on its logging output.

Thanks to the instructions above I have a working installation on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, except for the registration. I installed Dotnet48.

This is the error I get:

License server started.
015c:err:actctx:next_xml_elem wrong closing element L"assembly" for L"application"
015c:fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest L"C:\Program Files\Scrivener3\paddle\Paddle.exe.manifest"
015c:err:module:fixup_imports_ilonly mscoree.dll not found, IL-only binary L"Paddle.exe" cannot be loaded
015c:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"C:\Program Files\Scrivener3\paddle\Paddle.exe" failed, status c0000135
Starting communication.
Could not open pipe. Last Error: 2
Communication disabled.
Starting communication.
Communication disabled.
Starting communication.
Communication disabled.
Starting communication.
Communication disabled.
Starting communication.
Communication disabled.
Starting communication.
Communication disabled.
License Manager Process Error Occurred: “Crashed”
License Manager Process Exit Code: -1073741515 Exit Status: “Crash Exit”
License Process Error: “”

Anyone with a brilliant idea on how to fix this?

Just checked the forum and saw your post. This part of the forum is always slow but there are some Wine Wizards out there who sometimes stop by.

Until then, I would check to see if mscoree.dll is installed. There should be one in both the Windows/system32 and Windows/syswow64 directories. I think they should have been installed with .net.

Even if they are there I would try reinstalling the ,netFramework. For what it’s worth I’ve been running 4.6.2 for months with no registration problems.

Good luck.

Hello, Running Manjaro here and finally got it to work. Winetricks wasn’t working. It kept getting hung up on “Loading Fonts” I thought fonts were missing so I installed them and still no luck. Sometimes wouldn’t start at all.

I found this guide with a post by omano, which said Lutris is better because winetricks can break, and I tried it that, and it was still getting hung up on fonts. Lutris was easier though, Then I thought let’s try the 32 bit version. You can go to the Release Notes page to find previous versions. Latest 32 bit version as of writing is 3.1.4.1 so I used that, installed through Lutris. It gave a warning about installing 32 on a 64 but system and I ignored it and it installed.

I’m running wine 8.20-1, so idk why the 64 bit version is having trouble loading the fonts, but hopefully it will get fixed, but if you’re having trouble, then I suggest the 32 bit version. My wine prefix was 64 bit Windows 10, I didn’t need to change it to a lower OS or 32 bit version.

1 Like