Interface Questions

If searches were not so ineffective, that would make a lot more sense.

1 Like

I typically use the bookmark sidebar, not search, FWIW.

1 Like

There we will have to disagree. It is narrative even if you can make it work as reference.

Well, you say that it’s too narratively oriented, @drmajorbob complains that it’s organized around features and not narrative enough. Demonstrating the impossibility of pleasing everyone.

2 Likes

More likely demonstrating that it pleases no one.

While it is may be organised around features the explanations are narrative in approach.

But that’s not a reference manual, it’s a personal wiki.

I can see it’s a work in progress, and how you’ll find it useful pesonally, but it’s nothing like a detailed reference manual: they do very different things.

Agree to disagree.

I like the manual. I’ve read most of it, and I keep it open on the other screen when I’m working in Scrivener. (I’m with @kewms - I don’t use search, I use the bookmark sidebar). I don’t need to use it as much these days, but I like knowing it’s right there when I need it.

I also like that the source of the manual is available. I’ve borrowed from it several times to get things set up in my own projects or just to see other ways of doing things.

2 Likes

If someone spends as much time in the manual as you do, @kewms, I’m sure it gets to be more and more useful as you go along. But despite the thousands of hours I’ve spent helping users, this is not a full-time job for me. Helping them distracts me from understanding every detail of Scrivener, from mastering the manual to that level, and (needless to say) from writing.

That is the way I use it. A detailed table of content like The Chicago Manual of Style works better than search in a PDF.

Can’t keep quiet on this comment. Try having a traumatic brain injury, CSF leaks, two brain tumors, strokes, neuro radiation, brain surgeries, issues that cut off blood flow to the brain, and neurological diseases that attack the brain and spinal cord. After you’ve dealt with them personally for a while and gone through treatment, feel free to get back to me on how easy it is to remember things without needing tools in place that help.

2 Likes

Thank you. I did view the tutorials and they were helpful, aside from not knowing some of their terminology. One of the most confounding things though was finding that the composition/F11 view has black as a default background.

I liked Final Draft in some respects, but I haven’t used in a while and want to have a system for books and screenplays. I’m going to try to stick with this and at least use the basic tools for now and go from there.

Thank you for sharing this! I’ll check it out.

I wish I could post a visual of the kind of screen launch I’m talking about that is in another program I tried out. It just has the name of the project on the front and you click to open it vs needing to go through recent projects or the file system on your computer. It is a cloud based system, costs more, and is limited to books. The sidebar has a similar layout with a place for story notes and such, but no corkboard.

I have everything saved in one folder on my computer and on a backupdrive. I have everything easily labeled. I like your idea of having the icon view from the computer instead, especially since I can adjust the size and maybe add some images to it for book covers.

I had a Mac and now have Windows. Someone else showed me a view of how their setup is on Apple products, and either they put a ton of work into how it appears or it just seems more user-friendly.

I’m on a Mac. But one thing is that Scrivener is highly customizable. Almost too much so. You can probably change the color to neon green or whatever suites your fancy.

This is a thread for macOS themes Scrivener 3 Themes (macOS)

There may also be one for Windows.

In case someone missed it, I already explained how to customize composition mode in the 4th post of this very thread.

Having in the last couple of years had “chemo brain” with its disturbance of mental acquity and disruption to writing all I will say is that I would write nothing without Scrivener.

I was already able to change it.

1 Like

On the Mac, it’s also possible to create a Smart Group that searches for all Scrivener Projects.

Nimi places (free), on Windows, will self update the display of a folder too. I believe you can also set rules and filters to present files from different folders in one spot.
There is also Stardock Fences, but not free. And no such filters if I recall correctly. You’d have to use files’ shortcuts instead.

Take a screen shot and upload it.