iOS Update

I think for my next novel - likely NaNoWriMo in November - I’ll still use Scrivener for the initial planning, corkboarding, outlining, shuffling of scenes, and writing of the first draft.
But then I’ll output as a word doc and do the next drafts with Cloudon on my iPad and LibreOffice on my PC - syncing via Dropbox.
My publisher needs a Word doc anyway for his proof and copy editing.

Best wishes to Jen.

Welcome to Tammy!

Bummer on the iPad 1 exclusion, even though I understand.

I’ve waited so long for the iOS version that my machine is no longer valid. :frowning: But my internal optimist (eternal?) tells me iOS Scriv may be a valid excuse for obtaining a newer model. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Casey

It’s great news knowing that Scrivener for iOS is still under development, and that you haven’t quit on the project. I have tested almost every possible iOS writing apps, as well as almost every Mac and Windows writing applications, and I always go back to Scrivener (my first love, by the way). I’ll be really glad when it’s ready, since I will be able to just stick to Scrivener.

This year has been great for me, so far (my first son was born; great experience, bad for writing, though), so maybe I will add Scrivener to my list of 2013 gifts.

My best wishes for the team. Thank you for your efforts. They’re really appreciated.

Congratulations on the birth of your son … even if it has got in the way of writing. You’ll get back to that … eventually.

Mr X (Mark)

Congratulations! That’s great news! (Although, as you say, children are pretty bad for writing.)

Scrivener for iOS is coming along nicely again - we’re way behind where I would have liked to be, but getting back on track and it should certainly be on your list of 2013 gifts. :slight_smile:

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

[quote=“KB”]

"There is no more sombre enemy of good art than the pram in the hall,” wrote the critic Cyril Connolly in 1938, two decades before becoming a father himself. What must it have been like for the baby in that pram? To grow up as the daughter of the man who wrote that?

To find out, see:
telegraph.co.uk/culture/book … eview.html

I was just wondering, as I build up for this year’s Nano, if there is any word on the possibility of an iOS version of Scrivener - particularly one which will sync with the windows version.

We very much hope it will be ready for NaNo. We recently took on another developer to get things finished, and things are proceeding well again - we lost a lot of time owing to external circumstances, but it is looking great and we hope to have some updates soon.

All the best,
Keith

Looking forward to having this for NaNo to try out. That being said, my last three NaWriMo novels were done by sitting down every morning at my PC, no distractions, just hammering out 2000 or so words a day. I suspect I may not have the same focus if I’m wandering around with my iPad. Scrivener on it may be better suited to making additions/corrections while out and about - still a very valid use.

that’d be great. If it’s still in beta by Nano I would love to beta test it for you. I wrote half of my last Nano on my iPad, even though getting the text into Scrivener was a nightmare. Just make sure it’s going to be one that plays nice with the Windows version. :slight_smile:

Missed the news, as I try not to check too often - sorry to hear about Jen, but great news that you have a new developer on board. Go geek girls! (I’m a web developer myself)

I actually upgraded to an iPad 3 in anticipation of Scrivener coming out this year, but I don’t regret my decision. The Logitech Ultrathin keyboard is a joy to use, and I love watching TV shows on the retina screen. Still, guess I’ll be sticking with Index Card and Notebooks for my iOS writing needs for the time being…

Cant wait, thanks for keeping us updated!

I have to say that iOS 7 adds some very exciting features that is going to make it a lot easier to provide a great text editor in Scrivener for iOS… I can’t wait until our iOS developer gets back from WWDC so that we can discuss it.

Excellent.
Mental note: recheck all the stats, published info and gossip on iOS 7. I’m hoping this means better built-in rich text editing - and not just because of Scrivener (although, now that I’m revisiting my ancient manuscript, I am champing at the bit to have Scriv on my iPad).

I’m not sure what has been publicly announced, so I don’t want to break any NDAs, but let’s just say that your hope may be fulfilled.

So is there a good chance that Scriv will require iOS7?

A 99.9% chance at this point, I’d say. But as iOS 7 supports most of the same devices as iOS 6 and is a free update, that should only be a problem for those who hate the interface.

What about those that hate everything?

Keith, have you explored the possibility of export to, and sync with a Storyist file? That would allow Scriv users to use the Storyist iPad app.

Sorry to be blasphemous (and I don’t actually use any Storyist app), but Storyist seems to use a similar approach to writing as Scrivener. If you could pull that off, it might take some pressure off you to release something that Storyist might already have done for you.

You hate it that much, eh, Jaysen? I sympathise - I am worried about how I’ll feel when I test it. Even Tammy, our iOS developer, is not keen (to put it mildly), but it does add stuff that makes providing a great Scrivener editor much more feasible but backwards compatibility incredibly difficult.