Is there a way to select all “level x” documents in the binder?

Hi,

Is there a way to select all “level x” documents in the binder? (by "level x” I mean all documents in level 1 or 2 or 3 etc…)

I use Scrivenner mostly for screenwriting. It is very useful for me to be able to know how many scenes I have in draft. I write one scene per document, so a simple document count using de Numbered title feature in the outliner gives me the right answer. The problem is that I nest scene documents inside higher category documents, that correspond to sequences. Therefore, in order to be able to use the Numbered title feature in the outliner, I first have to manually select al the scene documents in the binder.

As all the scene documents are in the same level in the binder, I wonder if there was a more automated option of selecting all of them at once. I know this can be very easily done when compiling, but for me it would be very practical if it could also be done during normal editing.

Thank you

Yes, there is – basically you need to use Project Search (cmd-shift-f).

Presumably, you have set up your binder so that the scenes have their own Section Type, which will distinguish the way they are formatted when you get to Compile the document.

So, all you need to do is do a Project Search, clicking on the magnifying glass and choosing ‘Section Type’ as the search criteria, entering the specific name of the relevant section type (e.g. ‘Scene’).

Screenshot 2020-04-12 17.19.00.png

This will create a collection of only the scenes. If you save the search it will update automatically as you add or remove scenes.

The next thing to do is to show the Collection in the Binder (View > Show Collections), and click on your saved search. Just to the left of the title, you’ll see a bend arrow. Click on that to show the relevant documents in the editor. You can create a scrivening from them and show them in outline view in the normal way – including the Outline Number.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for.
Best regards!