Is Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 the most current version of Scrivener?

I bought Scrivener from your website last month. I just checked the version number and its Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019. Is this the most current version?

Yes.

Is this version the same as Scrivener 3.0? I’m looking at YouTube instruction videos and they’re discussing the 3.0 version.

Thanks

No, Scrivener 3 for Windows is currently in Beta. Not sure if and how you can get it though.

Edit: Windows 3 Beta is here: [url]Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)]

Thanks for the link to the 3.0 beta! I sort of worry though about using a beta and losing my documents. Is that an issue?

Also, do the plan on releasing a 3.0 for windows?

I appreciate the help.

The Beta is to iron out all the kinks before they release it, can’t see why you’d lose your work but I’d always recommend taking multiple backups anyway.

I’m a mac user but hopefully a windows user will come along and be able to answer any questions for you, there are quite a few Beta users n here.

I would advise against getting excited about 3.0 for Windows, it’s been in development for nearly 3 years, with a couple of ‘it’s almost ready’ announcements, the last one late in 2019. Currently it’s supposed to be out ‘sometime in 2020’. I personally recommend investing in a mac and getting on with your writing.

Bummer. Can’t afford buying another computer. Might be best to stick with Word.

What tarzanofmars isn’t telling you is that the beta is currently in Release Candidate status – currently RC5. We don’t get any more estimates or deadlines because people keep insisting on seeing estimates that L&L provided as hard deadlines and then would get snitty when writing good software turned out to be more complicated and take longer than they thought it should.

Many of us are using the beta for our every day work. Many of us are not yet. I would recommend downloading it and playing with it to see if it’s going to work for you. Don’t trust your important projects to it (or at least, not your only copy) until you have confidence that you’ve learned how to use it and get the data you want in (and out) of it.

Thanks. I’ll give the beta a try.

If you download the latest beta, you can run it side-by-side with an existing earlier version should you have one.

Remember to install the beta to a different folder or it will over-ride your existing version.

There’s no harm in running the beta - when it expires it’s replaced with a newer one until such time as V3 is released plus it gives you access to heaps of cool features.

Personally, I’m a fan of the darker themes that are easier on the eyes :open_mouth:

As a long time user, and with many decades of professional IT, the development of Scivener 3 Windows looks to be in trouble. First promised a long while ago. I’ve seen so many projects struggle.

This usually signifies either problems in the product design/construction, or failure to manage project scope. Or maybe loss of key skills.

Anyway, I like Scriv, hope you get it sorted because I’m looking forward to the new Windows version (and yes, there’s beta but I don’t want a pre-production version).

All the best, Rod

Yeah, no. I’ve been using a beta of Win Scrivener 3 since forever. I’m now up to RC5, and I’m still using it successfully.

Have you looked at a list of recent bug fixes? Have you looked at a list of old bugs that have been fixed?

From those bug fix lists, I take it that development is progressing. It doesn’t look to me like there’s been anything like a loss of key skills, or problems with development. The only problem I see is that Microsoft hasn’t been any help, compared to what Apple offers for program development. Welcome to Windows.

Product design/construction is probably done. Project scope is fixed - it has to match the Mac as best it can, given the limits of the Microsoft programming environment. Good luck building anything overnight to match a Mac environment with that crippling them.

I’m a satisfied Win Scrivener 3 user already, producing product day in and day out with the software. I have been doing so for some time. I’ll be one of the first to lay out some of the cash Scrivener 3 for Windows has earned for me up to now.

Okay thanks,
I should have a look at it. Generally I avoid pre-release versions. Still, if it’s stable, I’d expect it to be out by now.

Of course you would expect it to be out by now. So would I. However, it isn’t. Ho-hum.