Italics & the Compile function.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or something I’m missing, but every time I compile a book to, say, RTF or Doc, I lose all the italics. They’re underlined in the Scrivener manuscript, and I’ve selected ‘change underlines to italics’ under text options in the compile options, but the resultant file has neither italics nor underlines. What gives? (Scrivener 2.0.5)

What font are you using for the compile? It sounds like you may have picked one that doesn’t have an italic typeface. Lucida Grande is a typical Mac example, but there are plenty of others. In the compile formatting pane, bring up the font dialogue (Cmd-T) and make sure that for your chosen font, “italic” listed in the third column.

I have the same problem. It seems that although I write in Scrivener in Courier New, which supports italics, when I compile to rtf, italics come out as underline. I looked at the compile info and it seems it set for Courier, rather than Courier New. Trouble is it won’t change. I have tried the quick font change function we now have but that has not kept the italics when going to rtf. Any help?

In Compile, click on “All Options”, then select “Transformations” from the list on the left and remove the tick mark from “Convert italics to underlines”. I think I misunderstood the original post as well (apologies!)–that’s all that you’d need to do to keep your italics as italics; setting the other option, “Convert underlines to italics” will only affect underlining in the project in the editor, not after compile, so it doesn’t counteract the italics-to-underlines command.