Just updated to 1.0.2 and now Scrivener won't start

Just updated to 1.0.2 and now Scrivener won’t start. I’ve tried rebooting, but no difference there.

Any ideas?

Try uninstall and do a clean install from a new copy downloaded from the web page?

I didn’t need to uninstall, but I did download the program afresh from the website and install and now it’s up and running again.

Disappointing though.

Sounds like some sort of cruft lying around your system.

Just wanted to say I had this problem too… I did a fresh install of 1.01 after it came out, (uninstalled old verisons, reinstalled,) and when I updated to 1.02 via the in system updater it wouldn’t restart.
I downloaded from the product page and reinstalled and it works fine.

As a general rule it’s better to use a 3rd party uninstaller to uninstall stuff that isn’t working as it should before trying a reinstall. These tools run the uninstaller provided with the app, then delete additional stuff the original uninstaller didn’t. Since many times it’s that extra stuff that’s doing funny things to your system, if anyone is still having problems after following the above suggestions, using this approach might help.

PS.1: I use the free version of Revo Uninstaller for this. It only uninstalls 32-bit apps, but since Scrivener is a 32-bit app, that’s more than enough. The paid version supports uninstalling 64-bit apps and a few other features, but I find it too expensive for my needs. There are also many other uninstallers out there, but I have no experience with them, so I can’t comment.

PS.2: In my experience Scrivener’s included uninstaller is way better than most others, so it’s quite possible that a 3rd party tool won’t help at all. YMMV.

Sorry, could I clarify what happened with the update? Was it that Scrivener didn’t automatically restarted after running Check for Updates and installing the 1.0.2 update, or were you completely unable to launch Scrivener by any means after installing the update? Was there a crash or some such in the process of trying to install the update? Scrivener doesn’t automatically launch at the end of an installation, so it is necessary for you to launch it again yourself. But obviously it should open normally when you do so, and it sounds like you’re getting some kind of error at that point? Were there any error messages?

Also it’d be helpful to know what version of Windows you’re running and whether you’d installed Scrivener initially as an administrator or standard user and whether you were running Scrivener as an admin or standard user when you did Check for Updates.

after the update I was unable to launch scrivener at all. Not by clicking the icon or by opening the project file in my folder. No error message, it would just not come up.

I am running Win 7 64 bit, only an admin acct so installed and tried to run on admin acct.

As per Meleesa above. I just took the upgrade route and that was it. The app wouldn’t open when clicked.

Aurelius - Are you also on Win 7 x64, admin-account only?

Could you go to the installed Scrivener directory and confirm that the Scrivener.exe file is in fact there? Did the upgrade installation seem to complete, bring you to the readme, and then following that you’ve been unable to open the application? No error messages or stalls anywhere en route?

I’m on 32 bit. As the program is now working, I can’t provide further information, but no doubt there’ll be another update soon, and we’ll see what happens then.

In my Windows 7 64-bit box, auto-updating from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. went smoothly. In my other computer, this one Windows 7 32-bit, it generated an error and a debug file (attached), but otherwise worked fine. In neither I used the 3rd party uninstaller mentioned above. I hope this helps!
bitrock_debug.xml (14.2 KB)